Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Acceleration Hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

Default Acceleration Hesitation?

Hey guys!

im a newbie and have a black 05 4.0. i absolutely love this car. bought it after a wreck for a good deal so i replaced the hood and front bumper with custom... might as well.. beats paying twice later on.. HA... anyways i just got my JBA hpipe system with GT take offs and am waiting to get them installed. I also have a short ram intake.... my question is how to get rid of the annoying lag between when you nail the pedal and when the car finally goes.. .i find myself pushing the pedal harder bc its not going then it takes off too fast and i look like a jacka** ... will a TB spacer help? custom tune? just the duals? fuel pump? thanks guys!

[IMG]local://upfiles/41292/2E90DE86771945E9872B7EA89375B58C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-08-2007, 08:35 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Acceleration Hesitation?

Nope none of those will work! Just trust me and give this a try.

Turn the key to the ON position (not where the engine is running) and wait til all the normal lights in the dash go out, then slowly press the gas pedal until it is floored and release. Turn key off, wait about 6 seconds and then start your car.

EDIT: Nice car by the way. I like it!
Old 06-09-2007, 12:52 AM
JimC

A tune will take away the lag -- that was the first reason for getting my car tuned, and the rest was just much better overall performance. Even the dealership service manager asked me if I had someone adjust the tune to get rid of the lag last time I had it in.
I didn't find that the reset method worked for me -- I drive a lot of highway miles and the tune was the only thing that got rid of the lag.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Get a tune !!!! Worked for me .I got mine from vmptuning.com but many more out there.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:56 AM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

so which is the better tune SCT or Diablosport II?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Adding the duals worked for me, but mine is an 06.

Also got rid of the "hesitation after long cruise" TSB where it bogs out after driving at a steady speed.

SOHC

BTW: Your ride looks sweet! Love the hood!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 PM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys! glad you like my ride... im just starting to mod it and im looking into more performance mods and superchargers soon so ill def be askin you guys some questions! haha
Old 06-12-2007, 01:12 AM
4Rowdy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viperrmk
Turn the key to the ON position (not where the engine is running) and wait til all the normal lights in the dash go out, then slowly press the gas pedal until it is floored and release. Turn key off, wait about 6 seconds and then start your car.
Out of curiosity, what does this proceedure actual do???
Old 06-13-2007, 12:47 PM
viperrmk
3rd Gear Member

It has something to do with reseting the computer since its drive by wires. Works for me. Just depends because some people have really bad throttle response and others don't have it to bad.

Sorry for the delay in response here.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:52 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05nightrider

Hey guys!

im a newbie and have a black 05 4.0. i absolutely love this car. bought it after a wreck for a good deal so i replaced the hood and front bumper with custom... might as well.. beats paying twice later on.. HA... anyways i just got my JBA hpipe system with GT take offs and am waiting to get them installed. I also have a short ram intake.... my question is how to get rid of the annoying lag between when you nail the pedal and when the car finally goes.. .i find myself pushing the pedal harder bc its not going then it takes off too fast and i look like a jacka** ... will a TB spacer help? custom tune? just the duals? fuel pump? thanks guys!

[IMG]local://upfiles/41292/2E90DE86771945E9872B7EA89375B58C.jpg[/IMG]
mine had the same thing, took to ford and they replaced some gas related, gas pump or something, all i knew was that my car stunk like gas til a day later, but it doesnt lag anymore ;-)

Quick Reply: Acceleration Hesitation?