Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

To dual or not to dual...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 PM
petestang

Default To dual or not to dual...

....that is the question.

Hey guys, I have an 05 V6, and after much research by combing thread after thread, and listening to sound clips, I went ahead and bought some GT take off mufflers off of ebay. To me they sounded more realistic, and more real- like they should be on the car. They just sounded better than any aftermarket systems I heard (not to mention alot cheaper). So anyway, when they came in, I went ahead and installed the passenger side, just to see how it sounded it person. WOW it sounded nice. Not only that, the performance gained just from doing this was amazing. It is now quicker off the start, and does not hesitate when accelerating at higher speeds. I could never get my tires to even make a peep before, and now I can get some noise out of them.

So anyway, here is my concen...Like I said, my original intention was to go dual, but now I am scared. I am so happy with the little performace gains I got out of just swapping mufflers, I don't want to mess it up. So what I want to know is...did anyone have a take off GT muffler on one side for a while before puting in the drivers side and going dual? Did it make a difference in sound and performance? Did it make it better, worse or did it do nothing-performance wise. I just don't want to spend the money, and then lose what I have gained. If it makes it better, or even stays the same, I will go ahead and do it, just for the looks alone..if it makes it worse, than I don't know..any advice/suggestions would be appreciated..thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:57 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: To dual or not to dual...

you might try posting this in the main v6 section. rarely do people visit this section. if you get an h pipe to go along with the duals, then it should sound really good!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:15 PM
petestang

Ok I posted it in the main, thanks..

I figure the sound will improve, but I don't want to compromise what little I have gained for a little more sound..I don't know..
Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 PM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

I had a take off GT muffler on one side for a month before puting in the driver side and going dual with X pipe from Ford racing.It made abetter sound and performance.Go ahead! Make it dual. It gives you better sound, better performance and better look.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 AM
petestang

Thats what I want to know, thanks.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:39 PM
06roushv6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tientran

I had a take off GT muffler on one side for a month before puting in the driver side and going dual with X pipe from Ford racing.It made abetter sound and performance.Go ahead! Make it dual. It gives you better sound, better performance and better look.
+1
Old 10-11-2007, 05:04 PM
mtnpunk91
1st Gear Member

Agreed!

Last week I got my pypes mid-mufflersysteminstalled and I love it.

It sounds so much better outside than it did before. I had my fiance drive it down the street and gun it and I swear I pitched a tent when she did the driveby!

Of course, there is one negative - it's hella loud inside. I get serious drone. I was hoping to avoid it, but I can live withit. I just turn the music up or roll down the windows and it's all good.

I swear the car feels more powerful after the install. Other than the exhaust it's totally stock (performance wise), but it seems to me that it responds quicker and goes faster than before. Maybe it's just the sound, LOL.

Either way, GO DUALS!! You wont regret it.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

u have ne clips of the mid-muff system on your car? I've only heard em on the gt.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:23 PM
mtnpunk91
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

u have ne clips of the mid-muff system on your car? I've only heard em on the gt.
Nope, no clips yet.

I dont own video camera to upload one to the computer. I'm trying to borrow one of my friends but he's being difficult, lol.

I'll post one as soon as I can.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 PM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

where did you get the xpipe? is it just the xpipe that you took to the shop and weld it or is it a clamp on type?

Quick Reply: To dual or not to dual...