Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Custom tune - engine ping (Any advice?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 PM
ccdguy
1st Gear Member

Default Custom tune - engine ping (Any advice?)

Okay.... Got my XCal2 with three tunes from Brent at Brenspeed. 87 / 89 / 93. I will try to call them up on Monday to ask for advice, but in the mean time, I'd like to pick your brains and ask for opinions/advice... I've loaded up the 89 tune, and at the time, I had a full tank of 91 octane gas. The performance (shifting, throttle response, etc.) are great. The car definitely has more power. Problem - everything is fine, EXCEPT.... at medium to WOT there is just raw power... Absolutely no engine ping. But when keeping the car under light load, just driving around with a steady gas pressure around 2 - 2.2K ia can hear slight engine ping. The ping also can be heard when I just dab the gas a bit while cruising at these RPMs. Image if you just tap down the gas pedal maybe 1/2 inch down and you can here the engine pinging. So tonight, I filled up with decent 89 gas from Shell. Same thing, but somewhat more prenounced under the described conditions. I will can Brenspeed on Monday for advice, but in the mean time.... A) Can this quiet, light pinging be bad for the engine. B) Could this be soved by say retarding the timing a bit with the XCal in the low RPM range (I think that would be between 1-2K RPM range)???? I mean, the timing seems to be dead on at medium to WOT, but I am concerned with the ping at very light gas pedal pressure and under load driving level, and also just gliding up hills in low RPM range. Any options? I'd love to hear what you guys might think on the matter, and also could advise me on what I should ask Brenspeed techs when I call. Thanks in advance !!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 AM
rogerw4

Default RE: Custom tune - engine ping (Any advice?)

Pinging never good.......... with my experiance pinging is caused by: bad gas, octane too low, timing, even a dirty air filter.

I would try backing off the timing in the lower rpm ranges only
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Kevjud

ccdguy, have you resolved your issue yet? Just curious as I am ready to buy a tuner as well.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:58 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

hmm not the first time i hear about brenspeed giving tunes that ping... go with VMP or Bamachips
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 PM
ccdguy
1st Gear Member

Hey guys and KevJud,

Yes, I got that taken care of. Called Brent, and spoke with him. Turns out he needed to correct the tune and give it a bit more fuel. So once he did that, he e-mailed me the tune. Loaded it onto the XCal, and then the car. Problem resolved. The negine hums and pulls like crazy. No pinging at tip it, low or high load ! He also reworked my 87 tune and I think he might do the same (if needed) to my 93, although I have not had a chance to try the 93 yet. My wife wants me to put the Stang into hibernation for a few months during winter. I really hate winters with a passion. I'm gonna have to endure driving my beater Mitsu Galant for the winter and look like a shmuck with 140 hp four banger........ I better take a picture of the Stang and put it safely in my wallet to stare at....[X(]