Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

NEW DUAL EXHAUST!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 01:54 AM
ctpeterson87

Default NEW DUAL EXHAUST!!!!

Wow just got my exhaust done today. I have a 08 v6 and just got dual magnaflows! it was only like $360 and i love the sound but just wondering some things.i guess they put on a y-pipe. Should i have gotten the h-pipe or x-pipe instead? wuts the downside to wut i got? how come such a cheap price?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: NEW DUAL EXHAUST!!!!

Here is what I have to say about it... personally if you like how your ride sounds, then it was well worth the $360, which is definately not cheap lol (no performance mods really are). However, you did get a spankin good deal on those though. Did you get them used or new? I am happy with the MRT Aeroturbine exhaust muffler I got for over $200 (not even including the pipe lol). However, being happy, I still want to be happyer. This is why I want to go with an h-pipe dual. Being cheap I will probably just get another MRT Aeroturbine exhaust for the left exhaust OR get some nice GT pull off's (which are pretty cheap, most likely cheaper).

Downside to your pipes? None really unless you want to make something up. :P I'd think those for the price are a pretty good steal of a deal. Would it be too much to ask if you could cough up some sound clips of them installed for myself and anyone else out there interested?

As far as the differences for pipes... (anyone can correct this if they want or whatever)

My take:

H pipes - It's basically linking the left and right exhaust pipes together with a single bar runing from one to another (given the name H pipe). It's there since oldschool days to equalize the pressure going through the pipes and all the gases etc etc to kind of give a balance going out of both. Doing this, it reduces the some of the rattlyness of the exhaust when you get on it. It has supposidly been "proven" to increase torque over the basic dual setup AND relieve some of that pressure from those gasses spitting through them that the basic duals have, which gives the added performance value to 'em.

X pipes - Don't know much or remember much about how they work other than the X where they meet is supposed to help SUCK the gases coming through which - as a result of this - helps to have a cleaner burn. It also adds hp and torque of course. As far as the sound goes, so far i'd stick with the H pipe from my own personal preference

Y pipe - Ehhh... Really not sure about this one too much... I know it's a pipe that looks like a Y lmao and it merges the 2 pipes into 1 pipe that can be split up again with a dual setup. It's not TOO much of a difference from the H pipe I don't think. Can anyone put in their dimes worth on this? (or feel free to correct/add)

Like I said though... if you like 'em, it was worth it. Such a cheap price because it was probably such a good deal lol. I couldn't find any magnaflows with the y pipe dual setup (brand new) for under $460 except from my buddy at his shop which he can get at *cough* wholesale prices for a bit cheaper... I found used ones pretty cheap, but that's about all.

Where did you get them from?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:26 AM
ctpeterson87

i got them from mikes mufflers in el monte, CA. im not sure if i have a ypipe or anything though. cuz the guy said he left the stock pipes there then just welded on a y with 2 magnaflows. he barely changed any of the piping cuz he didnt want my warranty to be voided
Old 12-18-2007, 03:54 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Well the duals you got, from reading on it, they are supposed to fit seamlessly with the current v6 y pipe location. The only thing that REALLY changes is instead of going out one tube, it splits it up again back out to two tubes and mufflers.

Now to compliment that new exhaust... Did you get the CAI and a tune yet?

I recommend the sct xcal tune with a C&L since I have it installed myself. Easy, quick, painless, take it off and put it back to stock tune before you have the dealership do any work with it (as well as d/c the batter for a bit). Then you should be in the clear of any "evidence" lmao. The huge grin wasn't mentioned on the description w/ the tune, but I can't seem to unweld it from my face as long as my foot is on the gas. :P
Old 12-18-2007, 05:06 AM
O.C Stang
1st Gear Member

The down side to a y pipe is that you get about the same performance gains as you would have by simply installing a single performance muffler due to the exhaust still having to go through the single pipe at the y.Where if you got an x pipe and/or h pipe you now have an additional pipe for your exhaust to escape from in which you see a bigger performance gain from.But like what was stated already if your happy with it then thats all that matters anyways and throw a sound clip up when you get a chance.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:59 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xyster
...personally if you like how your ride sounds, then it was well worth the $360, which is definately not cheap lol (no performance mods really are).
LOL, my dual setup (JBA stainless H and Borla Stingers) is going to run a final bill of around $1400, so all things considered, $360 isn't bad.

I haven't actually seen a lot of dual setups for less than $300-400.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM
SatinSilverStang
2nd Gear Member

i'm running Pypes X-pipe and mids into GT-Take Offs, that setup ran me about $480 but i cut the bumper and installed myself
Old 12-19-2007, 02:22 PM
cefiro80
2nd Gear Member

The x & h pipes clean up the sound but can run some bucks. If you are happy with the sound then just keep it.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:28 PM
eme_ms_87
1st Gear Member

hey ctpeterson87, im from culver city on the westside of L.A. and if that guy still has the magnaflows you got i'l buy them over there. do you know what model you got from magnaflow? you like them?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:09 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

ORIGINAL: xyster
...personally if you like how your ride sounds, then it was well worth the $360, which is definately not cheap lol (no performance mods really are).
LOL, my dual setup (JBA stainless H and Borla Stingers) is going to run a final bill of around $1400, so all things considered, $360 isn't bad.

I haven't actually seen a lot of dual setups for less than $300-400.
Ahh! What I meant by not being cheap is that most mods that are popular or worthwhile doing (like a tune) does not come cheap. They all cost money. LMAO I did not mean for my words to imply that his purchase was expensive :P

It is a hell of a deal btw... Just from looking at what I want to do with my pipes and muffs i'm looking at another 200-250$ + another 400$ or so. I can do the install myself and save a buck or two so total around $650. The gt takeoffs and a basic H-Pipe setup (or custom shop built pipes from my friends) are looking more attractive by the day.