Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Some Help PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Adian

Default Some Help PLEASE!!!

Hi all,

I am noticing a problem with my stang since I put 18" rims on her. There is a point between 20-30 mph that it starts grinding and vibrating the car really bad, and not necessarily when I am braking, but that is mostly when I notice it. I've pulled the wheels off and checked for any wear and am not finding any. The only thing I can think of is needing bigger brakes due to the bigger rims, but was told that that should not be the case. Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be and what to do to fix it?

Also which gears would be best on my '06 V6, it is a manual tranny, 3.73 or 4.10.

Thanks in advance

Windviel Blue, Boy Racer Body kit (including louevers), Street Scene Ducktail spoiler, American Racing Shelby Razor Rims, shorty antenna, Tunable Induction CAI, & Hurst Short Throw----Next upgrades, underdrive pulleys, gears, t-lock
Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Some Help PLEASE!!!

Did they balance the rims properly or could there be something wrong with the tires. I had bad tires a couple of times that did the same thing but at a higher speed than what yours is doing it at. Well except no grinding.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Who mounted the tires on the rims? Tire shop? Dealership?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Adian

The tire shop did it
Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

If you still have your original 16" or 17" rims and tires, then put them back on and see if the car makes the same sound. If it doesn't, then bring the 18's back to the shop and get them rebalanced.

Regarding your question on gears, most members here go with 3.73's and are quite pleased. On my 4.0L/5spd coupe, I had 4.10's installed with my t-lok and I am very happy with the choice. It pulls harder through the gears (less downshifting), and the higher RPM's are not a concern. I took a 900 mile trip recently and averaged 25.5mpg. That's better than my wife's 2005 4.0L/auto vert!

Gear choice also depends on your needs. I hit the track fairly regularly, so I wanted the car to pull hard off the line. With 28" dia DR's, my best 60' time is 1.932 on the stock clutch, and I'm shifting into 4th gear before the traps. If you are not racing the car much, then 3.73's should be fine with the new LSD.