Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Improving fuel mileage via air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 PM
JochenHeiden
1st Gear Member

Default Improving fuel mileage via air filter?

Hey guys,

I have a '07 V-6 Stang with the Pony Package, manual transmission, around 17500 miles. I am getting pretty decent fuel mileage now that I made sure the tires were filled to specs, but I am still hunting for better fuel mileage. I use the cruise control religiously and when I'm not in a hurry I shift at the recommended speeds in the owner's manual. The air filter was replaced when I took my car in for the 15,000 mile inspection.

My question is, are there any easy addon parts/accessories I can do to my Mustang to get a couple more MPG out of it? What about these K & N air filters? Or some sort of cold air intake? Or a tune? What's something that a novice mechanic can do to this car to get some better fuel economy out of it? I've done all I can on the driving end, so now I need to examine mechanical upgrades.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Improving fuel mileage via air filter?

I dropped in a K&N filter and got a mileage tune for roadtrips. I get better city fuel economy than I did by about 1-2 mpg, but I haven't had a highway trip yet. I will report back when I do that this weekend.

A tune and a drop-in filter should help some, although the cost of the tuner and filter would take a long time to recoup in gas costs.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

dont forget a take-off gt muffler. the less you have to make your stang work to get the same power to the wheels, the more gas you'll conserve.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Vmps mileage tune!!! and his cai. My highway mileage improved from a best of 24.5 mpg to 29.1 mpg! I couldn't believe it either but here's the numbers--406 miles on 13.953 gallons of gas. My worst mileage with his mileage tune has been 26.8 mpg--356 miles and 13.302 gallons of gas(winter gas w/10% ethanol and cold weather). My around town mileage has stayed about the same at 18-20 mpg. As gas prices increase the money spent looks better and better. The car also runs HARD when you want it too. I'm sold on Justin and Vmp.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 AM
JochenHeiden
1st Gear Member

So where can I get this VMP tune and the CAI? Does that tune require higher octane fuel? Doesn't seem to be a huge benefit when you tack on 20 cents a gallon. Can you give me more info?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Frank Bullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my first mustang

Vmps mileage tune!!! and his cai. My highway mileage improved from a best of 24.5 mpg to 29.1 mpg!
I am interested in the VMP Mileage tune. Is this the 87 Octane mileage tune, and is there also an improvement in performance along with the mileage increase ? Or does the performance take a hit ?

Is this with a manual or automatic transmission ?

Any input from anyone on the VMP mileage tune is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 12:22 AM
JochenHeiden
1st Gear Member

Bump!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:11 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Justin @ VMP tuning sells mileage and performance tunes for 87-93 octane.

I purchased a 93 octane performance and 93 octane mileage tune, as well as an 89 octane mileage tune for when I can't get 93.

This is the package I would direct all of you towards http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...&parent=92

For $600 you get a tuner with 3 tunes, an intake and a GT muffler and 25 whp and 25 ft/lbs of torque. I have essentially this setup and my car screams compared to stock.

As for mileage, in town I have gone from 14.5 mpg to 18 mpg, some of which is driving habits and some is the tune. I am taking 300 mile trip this weekend and I will test the mileage tune, drop-in filter, and GT muffler as a combo for increasing mileage, I normally average 27 mpg on this trip. I will report back on it.

Also the mileage tune does increase performance over stock, just not as much as the performance tune does. I will post on this thread when I return.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:07 PM
JochenHeiden
1st Gear Member

I look forward to your results!I checked out this very package yesterday and it looks like a great deal. Is it difficult for a novice mechanic to install this stuff? I have never really worked on a car before but I can follow directions well.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

It is all simple to install yourself with basic handtools. Although I had meineke put the muffler on cause I was lazy for $25.

Quick Reply: Improving fuel mileage via air filter?