Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle Back

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 PM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Axle Back

I was told by Kenny Brown Performance that the best way to do duals on a V6 was to split after the cat. They said notoriously on V6 mustangs true duals didn't have quite enough back pressure, but if you split it after the cat it should work really good.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:56 PM
toronado

ORIGINAL: cheysdaddy

I was told by Kenny Brown Performance that the best way to do duals on a V6 was to split after the cat. They said notoriously on V6 mustangs true duals didn't have quite enough back pressure, but if you split it after the cat it should work really good.

well I'm not sure what you mean by "split after the cat". there are two cats so the pipes actually "combine" after the cats and Y into the single pipe for the muffler. maybe Kenny Brown didn't realize there are two cats??

anyhow, just like LizardKing, my desire for duals is primarily for looks. Looks first, sound second, performance third. There is a good chance I will hang the second muffler without even connecting it. I don't want to mess with custom exhaust if there's a chance I'll see a big power drop or even a reduction in sound quality.

Can I get some feedback on the exhaust diagram I posted?

my exhaust idea (patent pending - lol)
Old 04-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

We need to be careful about the exhaust work. We will lose power if we dont do it right. Go to Pypesexhaust.com and look at thier 3.8 system for Mustangs. Its a complete dual system form the manifolds back, decent price to.

Any company that claims that true duals will result in a loss of power needs to back it up with hard evidence, like a dyno sheet.

Generally speaking, the closer to the engine the restriction is, the greater the loss in power.

I dont want to get caught up in spending thousands of dollars for minimal hp gains. My car is new, I like it, so Im just making some appearence and driveability mods. If a true dual system can be had for about the same price as a y-pipe then Im going for the duals. I missed out on a GT rear bumper cover in the right color, but another one will come along.

I received my GT take-offs today, perfect shape, cant ewait to get them installed. I need to crawl under and look at the muffler hangers, Im guessing they are all the same, if so, U-Wrench-It: Here I come!
Old 04-14-2005, 08:26 PM
6 Banger

Hey lizardking, let me know how you make out with the install, It's very simple. You will only use 2 of the 3 mounting points when you put on the GT muffler. Just watch the clearence at the valance. Once you get a few miles on that muffler, you will love it (sound) and probably won't want to do dual exhaust. Don't forget to drop in a K&N air filter too!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 08:57 PM
toronado

my set of muffler hangers came in the mail today so I'm getting close to having the GT muffler on both sides!

so next up is either cutting or paying someone to cut the opening in my bumper for me. i considered ordering a take-off GT valance but I actually think my V6 bumper will look sweet if I do a good job with the opening and the muffler hanging.

and my single GT muffler does sound really good. but I'm fairly determined to see how it will sound and run with both GT mufflers. at the very least, I will hang the extra one just for looks. (not quite sure how I will accomplish this yet if there's not an exhaust pipe to clamp it to)

still hoping for some knowlegable feedback on my design

Old 04-14-2005, 09:17 PM
BradC
1st Gear Member

How much did you pay for the GT take-offs? Might be a cheaper option than JBA or MAC, since I want a better sound out of my V6.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

I got my Gt take-offs off e-bay for $75 shipped. Alot less than an axle back runs.

Toronado, do you have the p/n's for the hangers?
Old 04-14-2005, 11:18 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: afixer

im thinking about putting on the mac single unit any info?
I'm selling my MAC single axle-back... never installed. I decided to go a different route so I'm taking a loss.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7968555053
Old 04-14-2005, 11:38 PM
toronado

ORIGINAL: Lizardking

I got my Gt take-offs off e-bay for $75 shipped. Alot less than an axle back runs.

Toronado, do you have the p/n's for the hangers?
I paid $88.95 shipped for my ebay GT take-offs. [:@]

oh well. the single GT muffler I'm running with now sounds better to my ears than any aftermarket sound-clip I've heard yet.

here's the scoop on the hangers (installing tomorrow)

part number 4R3Z-5A246-AA

list price is $49.45 each which is what my dealership parts department quoted me so I ordered them from Kevin from Clevenger for $38 each plus shipping. sure I only saved a few bucks but screw my dealership for not giving me a discount off list! [:@]

so yeah.. you'll need two of these and the bolts are not included. i'm hoping I can use the extra bolts leftover from the v6-gt muffler mod.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Lizardking
1st Gear Member

$38 for muffler hangers? Thats crazy. Im making a trip to U-Wrench-It this weekend. I bet some shopping around under a few T-Birds or Crown Vics will net me some hangers that will work fine for about $2 each.

I will let you guys know.

Quick Reply: Axle Back