Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 09:59 PM
artzillla

Default RE: performance questions

Ok thanks for the info. I will look into tuning up my car once I get my economic stimulus check from the government. haha.
If you want a good head unit I am sporting a JVC KD-AVX33 google it, bought at circuit city. It has a built in DVD player and has the option to display navigation, rear cmaera, built in bluetooth sych, ipod control from the deck, and if you slip the installer subway sandwich they can hook it up so you can drive and watch DVD's but I would go around doing that. LOL. espically not while I am sitting on the 405 freeway parkig lot. I got 2 12 inch subs in the truck with a custom box and I highly recomend dyamating the trunk. The tail lights and mustang trunk emblem rattle a lot for some reason. Oh I also found some transitional tail lights for the 05 mustang. Are they worth getting? I have no pictures of my car like some of the folks but it's white and stock. I got a prescripton from my doctor to have limo tint all around execpt the front window. Stock rims, stock tail pipe. haha.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 PM
AMoRT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: artzillla

Ok thanks for the info. I will look into tuning up my car once I get my economic stimulus check from the government. haha.
If you want a good head unit I am sporting a JVC KD-AVX33 google it, bought at circuit city. It has a built in DVD player and has the option to display navigation, rear cmaera, built in bluetooth sych, ipod control from the deck, and if you slip the installer subway sandwich they can hook it up so you can drive and watch DVD's but I would go around doing that. LOL. espically not while I am sitting on the 405 freeway parkig lot. I got 2 12 inch subs in the truck with a custom box and I highly recomend dyamating the trunk. The tail lights and mustang trunk emblem rattle a lot for some reason. Oh I also found some transitional tail lights for the 05 mustang. Are they worth getting? I have no pictures of my car like some of the folks but it's white and stock. I got a prescripton from my doctor to have limo tint all around execpt the front window. Stock rims, stock tail pipe. haha.
how did you get a prescription from your doctor for that?

And yeah my subs rattle the trunk soooo much. it sounds bad from the outside. I'm trying to sell them so i can put the money towards other things on the car. I already have the shaker 1000.

and about the sequential tail lights.. i think they look really awesome. I showed them to my dad because i want to get some, and he said they were illegal. is this true?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:45 PM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

you can do the CAI and tune install yourself. In fact, i highyl recommend it. you will grow a stronger bond with your car and a much better understanding of the inner workings. there are of course exceptions but just ask the forum about which you can do yourself or which you should have a shop do. single muffler, CAI, tune......all rather simple installations. good luck and post any other concerns you got.
Could not have said it any better!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Get an Xcaltuner, a CAI and some sort of performance exhaust(single or dual)and It will definatly wake up your V6! vmptuning.com has a package deal with all three for about $600.00. Really good deal.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:21 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AMoRT

and about the sequential tail lights.. i think they look really awesome. I showed them to my dad because i want to get some, and he said they were illegal. is this true?
ahha don't fall for that I doubt they are illegal. Even if they were I doubt any cop is going to worry about that stuff. I don't remember anybody saying they got a ticket for them. Have fun you only live once
Old 05-14-2008, 01:00 AM
artzillla

@ Amort. I had an accident a while back ago that compressed my c2 and c3 neck bones. I get a lot of migraines from the compression. I had taken the chance and limo tinted my car but then got a ticket for the tint. One symptom from migraines is sensitivity to light or Photophobia. I was actually going to a doctors appointment that day and while I was there I brought up in conversation to my doctor that I had to take off the tint on my car. He said I should keep it on since I get migraines and sunlight can make me uncomfortable. He wrote me a letter to take to the judge saying that I have photophobia and need the tint along with constant use of sunglasses during the day. I took the letter to the judge and he said, "okie dokie if the doc says you need tint then you need tint." The judge also said to put a copy of the letter in all my cars and my wifes car since I drive those too and, to keep a copy in my wallet so when I am in my freinds car and if they have tint and we get pulled over with me in the car it will give my a friend or family members a free pass on the tint for the day.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 PM
artzillla

I went to this place in Rancho Cucamonga and asked the owner about buying the C&L CAI and Bamachip thing. He told the C&L CAI was good but I didn't that Bamachip or all that other fancy stuff. He said with his people he could tune the car and run it on his Dyno thing and continue to fine tune it so it's perfect. He said something about the Bamachip being good and all but since we don't live on the east coast and live on the west coast our fule is different and the Bamachip tuning thing is mainly for the east coast cars that use east coast fuel or something like that. What do you think? Should I listen to this guy or go to another shop and ask around? He also said to get something made by Gibson? I don't know what he was talking about but, I asked him if Flomasters American Thunder exhaust were good. what do you think about Flomaster AT exhaust?
Old 05-18-2008, 01:09 PM
kaponelb
1st Gear Member

not true i have the c&L intake with the x cal 3 tuned by bamaschips the thing about the gas is not true because he gives you the option to choose the gas that is around you i went with the 91 because im in the los angeles and thats what we have the highest octane and love my c&l intake with the tune your gonna enjoy if you go that route i only had it for two days
Old 05-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yeah, i have bama's tunes also and they are great! i agree with the shop that they can fine tune your car on a dyno to get the absolute most out of it but they are shootin' sh*t about the gas thing. sounds like a hater statement to me. how much will they charge you for a dyno tune? i've read about others who got about 3-5 hp more by doing a dyno tune compared to a mail order custom tune. it comes down to how much they charge you and if its worth the price for a few more horsies. bama's tunes are $50 each.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 AM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

A lot of good advice on here. What I would suggest is; listen toALL the advice on Mustang Forums (not the mechanics you run into). Then go with the majority vote. Most of these guys know more than a lot of the professional mechanics I've talked to. Here is my plan;
1. Exhaust work (this decision will make you nuts)
2. CAI & tune (buy the package deal, learn the names, bama, brenspeed vmp, every one has thier favorite, Visit their websites and pick the one you like)
3. Trak loc and gears

Believe me, If you do that, you wont even know it's the same car....and ain't anybody gonna be callin you super n00b no mo.

Quick Reply: performance questions