Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: performance questions

ORIGINAL: ptkthekid
....and ain't anybody gonna be callin you super n00b no mo.
lol, i was just teasing. its all to the good .
Old 05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
artzillla

that's some good info. I have done a lot of reading and found C&l CAI with Bama tune is a popular combo. I think I will look into these choices. I am not sure if it is against the forum rules (I looked but didn't see anything).. I live in the Inland Empire and would be willing to travel to L.A. to have a profesional install that stuff into my car. Can a shop name be mentioned that sells the kits and installs it. I have found some sites where I can order the kit but, I would rather buy it in person. Also can I get a definition as to what a Bama tune is, an Xcal 3, and Trak loc and gears are? At least I know what a CAI intake is and what it does, haha. thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

-A Bama tune is custom program (computer program), that optimizes specific bolt-on modifications car for your car's computer from bamachips.com. (custom tunes "programs" adjust air/fuel mixtures, speedometer settings for many different variables........such as.

......exhaust system ...(single muffler or dual mufflers), headers......(short or longtube), gear ratios......(stock, 3.73,4.10)..... Cold-Air-Intake systems...., Wheel/tire size, underdrive pulleys, etc...

-An Xcal 2 or 3 is a handheld tuner "programmer" that you can plug into computer and download a program from bamachips, and upload into your cars computer. (you can order them pre-loaded with tunes)

-Trac Loc also know as a T-Loc....basically......makes both your rear tires spin at the same time....instead of just your passenger side rear wheel. (GT mustangs have this already)

Gears-basically....it's a ratio....for ever 1 revolution of your driveshaft, your gears on your cars rear end spin accordingly. 3/73 are faster than stock.....4/10's are faster.....but you will sacrifice gas mileage at highway speeds...........this depends on TIRE SIZE as well. Can someone explaing gears/tire sizes better than me please?>?>>

Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i wasnt aware that you can tune for mufflers. all a tune can control is how much fuel/air enters your engine based off the intake and then make adjustments accordingly.

based on the science of properly designed headers, a good set can "scavenge" more fuel mixture into the cylinder than the stock manifold so it might be possible to tune for headers as well (just a guess). if this is true, i would also assume that this could only be accomplished if it were dyno tuned, not a mail order tune. again, this is just a guess.

knowledgeable members, please chime in.