Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Total Re-vamp... Need some Input

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 04:32 PM
mrgonz

Default Total Re-vamp... Need some Input

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to see if I could get some assistance here...

I'm about to leave to Iraq on late August... I'm trying to do something to my brother's car, who is coming back to the US shortly after I leave. Only thing is, I am absolutely clueless about cars. I'm a pretty smart dude, so it's easy for me to follow instructions.

We're talking about a 2008 V6 Mustang (manual), stock right now.

I want to have this car supercharged, adding CAI, double exhaust.

Would anyone mind running me down the different parts I'd have to get?

Also, would this be something I could accomplish as long as I have access to the tools, or would be better off taking somewhere to get done?

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Old 07-06-2008, 05:15 PM
mrgonz

Default RE: Total Re-vamp... Need some Input

Forgot to add, I want this car to be a complete sleeper... What difference would it make to upgrade the current single exhaust instead of making it double?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

It would cheaper to swap out the car with a GT.

BUT, it all can certainly be done...it just costs money.

Keep in mind that you will lose the factory warranty on the Stang...basically all drivetrain parts. If that is no problem...then rock on.

Best bang for the buck in superchargers seems to be here:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=93

If you want to keep it total sleeper...get a single GT exhaust or something aftermarket and save the money and skip the duals. A single can flow plenty...duals are for looks and sound.

Then go to the suspension. Springs/shocks/struts...coupled with that 100hp of bolt on...you are gtg.

Great gift for your brother.

BTW, I leave for Iraq in August too (joy). My Mustang will go under a car cover for the long snooze.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
mrgonz

Thanks for the reply.

Who're you going over there with?

Also, what would you recommend... CAI or RAI? I've heard a million different opinions on this.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:30 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I work for the government. Been there twice as a soldier though...fourth time is a charm!

I am the wrong person to be asking on the intake. I just ordered an S&B as I wanted a new intake but don't want to mess with the tune. After my car hits 50K and is out of warranty...I will add a bunch of bolt ons...but for now, I love the car.

The Pony package is a killer deal...you get a great handling car with the V6...if you want to add power later, it is certainly easy to do so. But, the car handles great right off the lot.

If this is a repeat trip over there for you...then you know the deal. Things are REALLY getting better every day. We only do 180's so they roll by pretty quickly. My days of fifteen month tours are a thing of the past!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Supercharger is not a project for a novice. CAI or less mods might be done bit if you never worked on a car leave it up to the experts. Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 AM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Well, if you're planning on bolting on a supercharger in the near future, you should just skip the CAI because the supercharger will need it's own specific intake.

But, some of the popular cold air intakes used on this forum are the C&L, JLT, and the K&N. The C&L and JLT need to be tuned though or else they'll mess up your car. The K&N can be put in and be good to go. But the CAI's with tunes produce much better horsepower and torque gains.

Good luck man. These cars are money pits .