Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
the_pony_express
1st Gear Member

Ummm, well maybe I just havent compared it to other clutches, but the one in my 05 is pretty smooth.

If you want a free fix to your problem, drive a classic car muscle car like a Boss 302; then your clutch will feel light as a feather.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
fox_granit

yeah well every time i step out of my car into the garage I smell burned clutch and when you've had one bad clutch in 23k miles, it makes you a bit worried. The dealer charged me 1300$ to replace it, and if i find out my syncro's are bad or there's something else going on, I'm getting my money back. I've got some major plans for this car, and I don't need a bad clutch screwing it up.

BTW I'm doing about $7k dollars in upgrades to this one hopefully. When I'm done I'll be looking at about 375 - 400hp at the rear wheels if i've done it right. By then I'll need a better clutch anyway......
Old 01-11-2009, 09:35 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

if you are going through clutches that fast, its your driving, hate to burst your bubble.

my stock clutch lasted 30kish miles and that was with taking it to the drag strip almost every weekend. i then put in a stage 3 clutch, and have gone over 30k miles on it, with over 400hp, and its still running strong.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 AM
fox_granit

I've been driving stick for over 15 years now. I think I know how to drive one. I'm 30, not some kid flooring the car everyday. Yes I have been driving since I was 15. and I'm not taking it to the track every weekend. infact its never been on a track for that matter.

Now what gets me is that this is a BRAND NEW CLUTCH, I can understand some burn in, but everyday? thats just not right.

I also know from a Dealer friend of mine that the GT's have been having flywheel issues as well. Some of them have been discintegrating after about 30k miles. Mine was just fine but this is telling me there maybe some design issues with the transmissions. Look at how many different feels there have been between soft and hard for all these users. Just makes me think there's something wrong with them.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:16 PM
SixN2

If you're smelling burning clutch, take it back to the dealer that installed it and have them check it out.

My gut feeling though is you're eating up your clutch due to your style or type of driving. Do you do a fair bit of stop and go driving? Do you ride the clutch? How high are your rpms typically as you release the clutch when you take off from a stop? Do you hold the clutch in when stopped?

Don't take this the wrong way, but just because "you think you know how to drive a stick after 15 years" doesn't mean you're doing it correctly from a longevity point of view. I know a person that's been driving stick for over 25 years who managed to completely burn out a new clutch in a little over a year (in a Camry of all things) doing nothing but "normal" driving.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SixN2
If you're smelling burning clutch, take it back to the dealer that installed it and have them check it out.

My gut feeling though is you're eating up your clutch due to your style or type of driving. Do you do a fair bit of stop and go driving? Do you ride the clutch? How high are your rpms typically as you release the clutch when you take off from a stop? Do you hold the clutch in when stopped?

Don't take this the wrong way, but just because "you think you know how to drive a stick after 15 years" doesn't mean you're doing it correctly from a longevity point of view. I know a person that's been driving stick for over 25 years who managed to completely burn out a new clutch in a little over a year (in a Camry of all things) doing nothing but "normal" driving.
He's right, I know people who have been driving longer than you and they still don't know how to drive a manual correctly.

Do you downshift when coming to a red light or put it in neutral and let it coast?

I had an '82 Mustang GT that I sold 5 years ago with 92K miles on it and I never replace the clutch.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Albion47

My wife has an '06 V6 and I have an '08. I noticed that her clutch is alot stiffer than mine. Neither of us race or go to the track and have no clutch problems her milage is about 36K and mine is at about 21K.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 PM
fox_granit

to SixN2:
I do a lot of stop and go driving because I'm coming home right in the middle of rush hour. As far as riding the clutch, no never I got my hands slapped pretty hard by my dad when he was training me about that. Most times my rpms are between 2.5 and 3.5 when taking off from a stop depending on incline and such. and I always hold in the clutch when stopped.

to 07 Stang:
Do you downshift when coming to a red light or put it in neutral and let it coast?
I always ALWAYS let it coast. no reason to force the engine to slow it down.

and yeah both of you are right, not everyone knows how to drive a stick correctly, even after long periods of time. My thing is, I'm not taking it out to the track, I'm not abusing it, (only I can attest to that) just blows my mind that I went through it that fast. I did take it back to to dealer today, and they found nothing so I'm taking it home. If I ever have to replace it again, I'm going to get a ceramic clutch. I can deal with the "chatter" just not the cost of replacement for now.

sorry for hijacking the thread......
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

2500 to 3500 rpm everytime you take off?

i try to make it a point not to go over 2000 rpm when i get going.

not saying which way is better, but the fact that i can beat the living **** out of my clutch at the track and still get 30k+ miles on each one (with over 400rwhp) says something.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 AM
fox_granit

I guess I am beating the snot out of it then. Guess I better start saving up for a replacement, but then I don't have 400hp either. At least not yet LOL

Quick Reply: Clutch