Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

when the heck is someone.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 11:16 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

first, why do you need to do forged internals to hit 400rwhp? ive had 400+rwhp for nearly 2 years now on the stock engine.

Originally Posted by Legion5
The v6 is ALREADY forged, that's why it's better to mod than the GT.

Heads, Cams, Longtubes, and an intercooled charging solution will easily net 400 RWHP, I would know because that's what I'm going to do.

Total cost $4000, the only thing that will make it blow would be a bad tune, and this would all be at 9 PSI.
try again. the 4.0 has forged rods. that is it. the pistons are not forged, the crank is not forged.

it is not better to mod than the gt. the GT has a MUCH MUCH better valvetrain.

also how do you plan on doing heads, cams, longtubes and an intercooled FI system for $4000?

3rd if big power is your goal, as nice of a system as the xcharger is, its not the right system for big power. average is about 280-290rwhp through a manual, little bit lower through an auto.

Last edited by fazm; 12-10-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:15 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tfyzorg2

i can upgrade to a v8 for about 18k used or 26 new. and have to pay double what my currant loan is for, and have no money to mod.
You may want to check prices. My old man just picked up a brand new 08 GT auto(they had 20+ to pick from) for $20K cash out the door.

There is a glut of leftover out there. You would better off going with a new GT for now...waiting a year or two and going FI. Cheaper int he long run and bigger power for sure.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 AM
tfyzorg2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
You may want to check prices. My old man just picked up a brand new 08 GT auto(they had 20+ to pick from) for $20K cash out the door.

There is a glut of leftover out there. You would better off going with a new GT for now...waiting a year or two and going FI. Cheaper int he long run and bigger power for sure.
your right. im tired of this car

im looking at my dealership, they got bullets for 29k and gt converts for 29k..

sounds tempting
Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by legendlime05
whats up sancho been awhile, i say stick to the internals i think it would be sweet.
what up legend. trying to get a t-shirt printing biz going so i've been off the forums more than usual. a cool mustang shirt is in my plans of future t-shirt designs so we'll see how that turns out.

internals would be interesting. very curious on the results. its just that most end up opting for F/I.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tfyzorg2
I didnt say i had 5 grand laying around..

its like this

i got a v6 with only 10k miles worth 12.5 grand and pay off is 12 grand flat.

i can upgrade to a v8 for about 18k used or 26 new. and have to pay double what my currant loan is for, and have no money to mod.

thats why im sticking with the v6 that only has 12k to go, and i can save a couple hundred here and a couple hundred there till i get 4 grand to drop in a x-charger..

I guess ill be contempt with 300 to the rear on stock internals...

and whoever said i have a manual.. sadly i dont, but im glad that the autos hold up to power better.
Thank you for explaining your situation, they way your first post was I misinterpretted what you had.

A newer style GT is probably the better way to go for bigger power cheaper. Or if you really don't have that much money to spend, look into new edge gt's (99-04). They make big power pretty well with f/i and have a pretty good supporting system to take the power (rear end and I hear people DD the manual trans with 400rwhp+ and a new clutch, not sure about the autos but probably the same). I probably should have gotten a new edge gt for the same price I got my 6, but my plans weren't high hp at the time and I got a great deal $11k tax included for an 05 V6 with 26k in september. Good Luck on your car journey! In time everything will fall into place
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Prancer_grunt03

Default help please

I've been lookin to twin turbo my 4.0 after i get back from iraq but i know if im gonna be runnin 15-20lbs of boost outta each turbo it not gonna go very well so what all can i do to the engine so it can take it? also my syncronizers arent doin to good so whould i either get ball bearing or stay with syncronizers????
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prancer_grunt03
I've been lookin to twin turbo my 4.0 after i get back from iraq but i know if im gonna be runnin 15-20lbs of boost outta each turbo it not gonna go very well so what all can i do to the engine so it can take it? also my syncronizers arent doin to good so whould i either get ball bearing or stay with syncronizers????
I don't know the difference between the turbos on the market, so can't help you there. But would like to tell you as stated, at that psi per turbo you will definitely need forged internals and a crap load of other upgraded stuff. What rwhp are you shooting for? Fazm has 12psi through a single turbo with a few supporting mods and has just about run 11's on a little over 400rwhp on stock internals. The car is his daily driver too.

Most I've seen run on our cars psi on stock internals was wise-
12psi-turbocharger
14psi centri (vortech/paxton/procharger)

I would say with a good tune that psi is pretty safe, but beyond that is asking for trouble. So on stock internals I'd guess 6psi per turbo would be safe, but that is a guess. I'd suggest a single turbo over twins though.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Acid_Ghost

fazm you said that you've reahed 400 rwhp a while ago , can you more or less tell me your set up so i can have something of a guideline?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:52 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Weisco makes pistons for the 4.0, I had them in my car. I had a fully built block with the works, fasteners, studed, bearings, polished crank, cams, p&p heads, cobra valve springs (everything but rods). It was fun, it held up to 600ft lbs of tq till one of the stock rods blew a hole through the bottom of the block.

Quick Reply: when the heck is someone.....