Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Vortech Install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

[thanks, Ill. ]

I'll list up the parts when I get on my computer. It'll really help in knowing what to get in terms of pipes and couplers, but that's ONLY if you run things the same way I did. This means not having ABS and being able to run pipes through the body support openings between the fenders and front (trimmed-out to make room for the pipes to run through). And most of the pipes were cut to proper lengths, and I'll have to see if I recorded those lengths (I usually keep detailed notes).
The power steering relocation would have to be to a different location from where Vortech has you put it; instead of moving it to next to the radiator on the passenger side, you have to put it somewhere else, either on the driver side front shock tower or next to the radiator on the driver side or somewhere convenient. I put mine to the left of the radiator on the driver side, a little lower down. It's out of the way yet still easy enough to get to.

As far as the pulley, first what I did was put a 3.12" pulley on instead of the 3.6" that was provided with the supercharger. With the Vortech air/water cooler, that pulley usually yields around 10 psi of boost. But with the air/air intercooler and longer piping, I was seeing 9 psi max (the extra losses were distributed among the piping and the intercooler caused about .5 psi drop).
So, to get 11+ psi, I put a 2.87" pulley on and a 1" shorter belt. It's a vortech pulley, and got it from a reseller, although you can usually find one from someone selling one. I sold my 3.6" to someone that way, and still have the 3.12" pulley in case I want to go back someday to less boost (yeah, right).
Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Musckletang
1st Gear Member

Cool...look foward to your list. Thanks a ton!
Old 02-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Musckletang
1st Gear Member

Hey, tx zstang can you still send the list?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:40 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Here's from my notes:

Aluminum Pipes (from ebay kit; the S-intake pipe was an optional peice bought at same time): - all are 3" pipes
2 - 90 degree pipes (ends cut off as needed for fitment)
1 - 70 degree pipe (full pipe used, sc discharge down through driver-side in front of fender)
1 - 30 degree or so, from an 'S' intake pipe
1 - J pipe, cut in the middle of the bend, used to make 2 peices on top on passenger side
(alternatively, a 90 L and a regular 90 could have been used in place of the J pipe)

Silicon:
1 - 2.75-3" reducer/coupler (sc discharge connection to 3" pipe)
1 - 3" eblow, at least 5-1/4" end-to-outside length (set it flat, measure top to table; Throttle body coupler); you can't use the shorter-radius 90's here from a pipe kit; you need a longer fitting to make it clear everything and get on the throttle body.
1 - 3" 45 degree elbow (under car, driver side)
4 - 3" straight couplers (2 on intercooler, 2 on passenger side piping)
(alternatively, 3 straights and 1 hump hose could be actually used, and keep 1 straight as a spare.)

plenty of 3" T-bolt clamps on all of these (2.75" uses a 2.75" T-clamp)

So the peices as they fit, starting from the supercharger discharge, to the FMIC, then to the throttle body:
2.75-3" straight silicone coupler; full-length 70 degree-bend pipe; 45 degree silicone coupler; 90 degree pipe (both ends cut to fit), 3" straight silicone coupler into intercooler inlet.
From intercooler outlet: 3" straight couper, to a 90 degree pipe cut to fit, straight 3" silicone coupler, section of 30 degree pipe cut from the 'S' intake pipe [this gets the curve coming up from behind the passenger-side headlight up to in front of ecu), a 3" straight silicon coupler, into the top section of pipe that runs to the throttle body coupler made from a J-pipe cut and welded, then into the larger-diameter 3" 90 degree silicone coupler to throttle body.

For the top section of pipe, make it out of a J-pipe cut in the bend so the two peices route as shown, welding the two peices together (as shown in the pics of my setup on the passenger side). Note: I put a couple of flat washers under the coolant bottle bolts to raise the bottle a little out of the way!

And this is with a intercooler that has 3" ports at its bottom on each side, and is 30" long (port-to-port, 24" long core), 12" tall and 3" thick.

Most of the alum pipes are cut to fit where needed; and ends that are cut need a lip or some '****' or bumps welded on the ends to keep the hoses from slipping off; the 70 degree pipe has rolled ends and no welding was needed on it, except that's where I put the bov fitting, and it was welded on.

The above is based on reclocking the supercharer discharge at a proper angle so that it matches up evenly with the 70* pipe section going down through the fender support. An alternative may be to clock the supercharger so the discharge is down and use the vortech 2.75-3" hose with the bov fitting. Since that was another 90* bend, I didnt want to do it that way and I wasn't going to use the small 1" bosch bov neither. But, it is an optional configuration.

I know it's probably hard to imagine all this, and I do have pics somewhere of all the sections that I can post up.

Keep reminding me if you need more info; I'm working on other things on the car but do check here frequently; a pm would get my attention and then I can post backc here.

Last edited by tx_zstang; 02-07-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Musckletang
1st Gear Member

Thanks a mill. I'll keep in touch . I'm busy with school and work right now. Chat with ya later. AND Thanks Again!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

No problem. It's definitely not a 1-day project! Just keep us posted!