Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

K&N Drop in filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:11 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Default K&N Drop in filter

Guys,

I have had a k&n drop in filter in just about every car I have owned. I was thinking about getting one for the new stang but I have a question. Would I be better off spending a little more money and getting a FIPK or just get the drop in. I won't be doing a computer tune for a long time since the car is still in warranty and from what I have read, I would need a tune to get the performance out of the FIPK. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Sorry. I don't know why posts are going into both 4.0 forums. If I am doing something wrong please let me know.

Last edited by jtstakelin; 03-28-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Forget the drop in and forget the CAI if
you are not going to get a tune.
Drop ins are a waste of money unless
you live in the dusty desert.
IMHO and you asked.
Go Airaid if you must have a no tune required CAI.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:44 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Forget the drop in and forget the CAI if
you are not going to get a tune.
Drop ins are a waste of money unless
you live in the dusty desert.
IMHO and you asked.
Go Airaid if you must have a no tune required CAI.
Thanks. I will just save my money and put it toward sequentials, louvers, or an exhaust.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:24 PM
rock61992
1st Gear Member

You could buy one of the $20 autozone ones, hack off your airbox just before the MAFS and just stick it on there; thats what i did and it at least looks and sounds pretty cool for the price even if there is no real HP gain...
Old 04-03-2009, 12:54 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I have the drop in but I bought it off craigslist for about $25 I think. The main reason I bought it was it was time to replace my factory one and after about 2 or so filter changes it'll pay for itself. Less garbage in the landfill too. ....don't worry I'm not going all green an ya, I'm still wasting gas going WOT
Old 04-04-2009, 05:35 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by jtstakelin
Guys,

I have had a k&n drop in filter in just about every car I have owned. I was thinking about getting one for the new stang but I have a question. Would I be better off spending a little more money and getting a FIPK or just get the drop in. I won't be doing a computer tune for a long time since the car is still in warranty and from what I have read, I would need a tune to get the performance out of the FIPK. What do you guys think?

EDIT: Sorry. I don't know why posts are going into both 4.0 forums. If I am doing something wrong please let me know.
I will look into it but I think your seeing it twice on the 2005 main page or something...it will look like that as it is the most recent thread that was made or had a response for certain sections like the 4.0 section

EDIT: I see I deleted one DP and that's it... no big deal

Last edited by mygt500; 04-04-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by red07Pony
I have the drop in but I bought it off craigslist for about $25 I think. The main reason I bought it was it was time to replace my factory one and after about 2 or so filter changes it'll pay for itself. Less garbage in the landfill too. ....don't worry I'm not going all green an ya, I'm still wasting gas going WOT
Are you getting any gains with the filter? (HP or 0-60 time)
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtstakelin
Are you getting any gains with the filter? (HP or 0-60 time)
If there is only a dyno is going to show you the ever so slight HP gain; it's not noticeable to me.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
mustangpogi
2nd Gear Member

I have mine installed last week. I noticed that there's no hesitations during the launch. The air flow was a lot better that OEM filter.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:03 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangpogi
I have mine installed last week. I noticed that there's no hesitations during the launch. The air flow was a lot better that OEM filter.
I noticed a small but noticeable change after installing the K & N. The engine sounded a lot smoother, esp. under acceleration. I couldn't tell you if it is any quicker, but it sure sounds better. Some posters here will deny that there's any change, but there sure was on my car.

If you haven't done this already, I'd recommend finding a used GT takeoff muffler and swap out the stock V6. The engine note is about a zillion times better and the car seemed to accelerate a little quicker. I found both duals on EBay for something like $30. I only installed one. Duals on the V-6 brings no hp gains and would require work on the pipes and bumper.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop in filter