Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Rear stabilizing bar cracked = wobble of death. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
D4v1dM4nn

Exclamation Rear stabilizing bar cracked = wobble of death. Help!

Hello,

I bought my 2005 Ford mustang about 2 years or so ago. It has been a great car to me and I have never gotten in any accidents and never had any trauma to the car. My back rear tire on the left side had been making a squeaking noise lately and I took it down to see what it was and they told me everything was "ok".
However, the other day I drove to my local starbucks and got out. Got some coffee and chilled for a couple hours with some friends. I went back in my car and started driving. As soon as I hit over 10 mph my car began to frantically wobble from side to side and I lost control of the car. I had my buddy drive it down the road a little so I could watch it and see what was going on. The rear wheel on the left side was moving out from the side of my car about 8 inches and then would move back in. I got under the car and found that my stabilizing bar (think that's what this is) was snapped clear in half. Called ford and they told me it was a "defect"... anyone else have any of the similar problems? Is this a defect in the mustang? Maybe a recalled part? I'm trying to get any info I can... because like I said, I never abused the car for this to happen.. while I love the speed.. I've never hit anything.

PHOTO:

Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by D4v1dM4nn
Hello,

I bought my 2005 Ford mustang about 2 years or so ago. It has been a great car to me and I have never gotten in any accidents and never had any trauma to the car. My back rear tire on the left side had been making a squeaking noise lately and I took it down to see what it was and they told me everything was "ok".
However, the other day I drove to my local starbucks and got out. Got some coffee and chilled for a couple hours with some friends. I went back in my car and started driving. As soon as I hit over 10 mph my car began to frantically wobble from side to side and I lost control of the car. I had my buddy drive it down the road a little so I could watch it and see what was going on. The rear wheel on the left side was moving out from the side of my car about 8 inches and then would move back in. I got under the car and found that my stabilizing bar (think that's what this is) was snapped clear in half. Called ford and they told me it was a "defect"... anyone else have any of the similar problems? Is this a defect in the mustang? Maybe a recalled part? I'm trying to get any info I can... because like I said, I never abused the car for this to happen.. while I love the speed.. I've never hit anything.

PHOTO:

That looks like a pretty clean break... maybe someone cut it to mess with you.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
D4v1dM4nn

Yeah I thought the same, but I took a closer look at it and it is snapped.. it just cracked. =/
Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Thats the 'panhard bar'.
It locates the rear end side to side.
It is (was) full of lead shot from the
factory. If someone cut it, there would
be lots of little lead shot ***** EVERYWHERE.
If it cracked and seperated over time, you
have been leaving a breadcrumb (shot) trail
behind you at some point in time.
Check your driveway for little *****......
Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I haven't heard or seen the panhard bar break like that. Crazy! Since you are probably out of warranty, you should go aftermarket rather than install a replacement Ford part. I bought a double adjustable poly-poly panhard bar by CHE through www.PowerHouse411.com. If you have to pay for a new part (assuming no warranty claim), then you might as well get a good replacement.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:34 PM
D4v1dM4nn

Nice. I'll check the parkinglot where it would have been "cut" and i'll check out my driveway/garage. Thanks for the tips!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 PM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

Thats crazy never saw one break like that warranty or not a good dealer should make that right.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

my bad. i missed seeing mine up that high. i didn't see any other bars when i was working under there.

Last edited by 07lane40; 05-03-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:52 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 07lane40
.unless that's aftermarket, that's not a panhard rod. i haven't seen any mustangs come from the factory with a panhard rod. it's more likely to be a sway bar. in either case, thats probably not what is causing your wobble. many many V6 stangs came without either of these bars from the factory. Mine being one of them, and i never had any issues.

Its most likely that you have bigger issues. even if you dont hit anything you can get stress issues with the car. i would like to also see this "8 inch wobble" because a wobble like that would cause your entire stock wheel to be outside of the wheel-well. there are some major underlying issues if that's really the case, and it has nothing or VERY little to do with your sway bar.
The rear sway bar is solid not hollow if he has one. So lets rule out that the
pic is not of a rear sway bar that cracked cleanly in half right in the middle...
Open your eyes and look for the panhard bar that EVERY S197 has.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=65&viewfile=Panhard%20Rod.pdf
I think you have bigger issues if you think your S197 stang does not have one.
EVERY S197 stang I have crawled up under has had a panhard bar.
None were designed to leave the factory without it.
If yours did in fact come sans panhard bar, I would
go biatch until they installed one. I think you are thinking
of the front A-Arm brace that most did not come with, the
rear sway bar that non-pp V6es dont have or the 'ever so
needed or the rear end will travel sideways' panhard bar.
And you DO NEED A PANHARD BAR PERIOD to locate the rear
axle on a 3 link set-up like the S197 platform.

Last edited by 157dB; 05-09-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Yea that is the panhard bar and your supposed to have one. The Pony Packages have sway bars, mine is a non pony package and it still has it

Quick Reply: Rear stabilizing bar cracked = wobble of death. Help!