Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Calling all gear heads!! Please Look..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Calling all gear heads!! Please Look..

I have a simple question. I have an 06 V6 vert and have been looking at power adders extensively. Before anyone says 'use search' my question isn't about which one should I get, or which is better. I would like to know which is more economical....installing a power adder(either s/c or single turbo) or an engine swap to a 4.6L or 5.4L. I also would like all extras to be taken into consideration(cams, heads, etc for doing F/I safely & traanny work, engine mounts, etc for engine swap)
Old 06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

05-06 281 4.6 H Ford, Mercury, SOHC, Three valve heads, Romeo built, 8 bolt flywheel, Mustang applications only Includes front cover and oil pan. $2,639

That's the info I have for a replacement Ford 4.6L engine.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:21 PM
JimC

Putting a supercharger or turbo on is probably less expensive in the long run.

If you do the engine swap you need to change the transmission, driveshaft, the ECU, the fuel lines, the AC lines, and a whole lot more. If you can pick up a wreck, the same year as your car, then it is easier because you can pull all the parts you need from that if they aren't damaged.

With either you will need to upgrade the rear end to the 8.8" to handle the extra power.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Putting a supercharger or turbo on is probably less expensive in the long run.

If you do the engine swap you need to change the transmission, driveshaft, the ECU, the fuel lines, the AC lines, and a whole lot more. If you can pick up a wreck, the same year as your car, then it is easier because you can pull all the parts you need from that if they aren't damaged.

With either you will need to upgrade the rear end to the 8.8" to handle the extra power.
Thanks for the input. I'm looking for a complete idea of what it would entail, simply because if I added F/I I wouldn't just be adding the s/c or turbo...I'd have to do other engine work(i.e cams, heads, pistons, etc) so it may end up costing the same & I'd have a better platform to work with.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Nitrous is your most economical choice. You can easily add more power as your upgrade budget allows.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

You don't have to do engine work to support F/I unless you get into higher boost levels or if you run a large shot of nitrous at the same time. The stock rear end is the weak point with more power, but a 8.8 takeoff can be obtained for less than $1000 easily.

Upgrading to a GT is the easiest route of course, but that's not a point I usually make, being a V6'er myself .
FWIW, a F/I 4.0 is quite fun!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:04 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
You don't have to do engine work to support F/I unless you get into higher boost levels or if you run a large shot of nitrous at the same time. The stock rear end is the weak point with more power, but a 8.8 takeoff can be obtained for less than $1000 easily.

Upgrading to a GT is the easiest route of course, but that's not a point I usually make, being a V6'er myself .
FWIW, a F/I 4.0 is quite fun!
Yeah, That's what I was looking at and thought it would be great to either get a Powerhouse Turbo, Vortech Blower or a P1SC S/C...but after further thought it doesn't add up. First off because I would be close to maxing out the v6 motor and It seems like for the same price I could just change to a 4.6 v8 and have almost the same HP gain...plus I would have a ton of headroom to add future mods down the line. I would like it to be street first/track sometimes...I've never been and I'm hoping to pop my cherry one day . To me after adding everything up it seems I could either go F/I for about $5k + install...or install a 4.6L + tranny for the same amount. Adding in the cost for exhaust and rear end build up is pointless because I planned on upgrading anyway. The only cost for swapping ina 4.6L is what it's going to take for all the parts to bolt the engine & tranny in and wire it up. Everything else past the engine bay doesn't matter because I planned on building it up anyway.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

All good points so far.

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
Yeah, That's what I was looking at and thought it would be great to either get a Powerhouse Turbo, Vortech Blower or a P1SC S/C...but after further thought it doesn't add up. First off because I would be close to maxing out the v6 motor and It seems like for the same price I could just change to a 4.6 v8 and have almost the same HP gain...plus I would have a ton of headroom to add future mods down the line. I would like it to be street first/track sometimes...I've never been and I'm hoping to pop my cherry one day . To me after adding everything up it seems I could either go F/I for about $5k + install...or install a 4.6L + tranny for the same amount. Adding in the cost for exhaust and rear end build up is pointless because I planned on upgrading anyway. The only cost for swapping ina 4.6L is what it's going to take for all the parts to bolt the engine & tranny in and wire it up. Everything else past the engine bay doesn't matter because I planned on building it up anyway.

Most of the FI 4.0's are running in the very low-12's in the 1/4 mile (I'm thinking moderate boost on the PH turbo). Some are even faster, being run in the high-11's. A stock 4.6L-3v swap will just put you into the low-13's, so it will take add'l mods to match up to a 4.0L with a PH turbo. But the advantage of the 4.6L (or 5.4L) swap is the potential to be quicker than high-11's. Remember that speed is addictive, and the desire to go even faster is hard to resist. If you think you'll want to be quicker than high-11's, then figure on a V8 swap. Either that or pick up a 5.0L Fox Mustang and go have fun - that's what I'm doing :-P
Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
All good points so far.

Most of the FI 4.0's are running in the very low-12's in the 1/4 mile (I'm thinking moderate boost on the PH turbo). Some are even faster, being run in the high-11's. A stock 4.6L-3v swap will just put you into the low-13's, so it will take add'l mods to match up to a 4.0L with a PH turbo. But the advantage of the 4.6L (or 5.4L) swap is the potential to be quicker than high-11's. Remember that speed is addictive, and the desire to go even faster is hard to resist. If you think you'll want to be quicker than high-11's, then figure on a V8 swap. Either that or pick up a 5.0L Fox Mustang and go have fun - that's what I'm doing :-P
Thanks for the input guys. You're right...this is very addicting which is why I'm looking at going to at least a 4.6L platform. I've never even been to a strip, never modded any of my previous cars either(my last car was a '00 F-Body). But after spending time on the many forums available for our cars I've become engrossed with all that can be done with this car..I'm hooked! I know that adding F/I to what I have now would be great, but what I'm concerned with is wanting to go even faster that what the 4.0L can handle. I don't think I'll step up to the big boys like Rygen, Fazm, Armycook or Flapjack...but I still want to be respectable. I'm not wanting to build an all out race car either.

This started out being my DD until I realized how many miles I'd be putting on it with my commute to work(If I go into the office every weekday that's 700 miles a week!!). So it will be relieved of DD duties early next year when I purchase a 4 banger beater to get me back and forth. At that point it will be my weekend/fair weather cruiser...with part time drag duties when I complete my build.

I was reading up on Flapjack's 5.4L F-150 buildout, but I don't know if I want to sink that much cash into it. I'm not a gearhead at all, but I'm a little mechanically inclined. I've spent a lot of time installing audio equipment and have even competed in that for a bit, but now I wish I invested that much time in engine building because I would have benefited much more now from that. I'll be having a good mechanic do the brunt of the work so going extremely custom wouldn't be a good option. Do you guys know if there is a list out there somewhere that entails all the parts needed to mount the engine, tranny and all electronics up? As far as rear end, drive shaft, suspension & braking I'll already have that covered before I start my build out.

As far as F/I goes I'm leaning towards turbo. I have much more turbo options with a standard GT 4.6L engine. Anything out of the box will be custom and have a much bigger price tag(correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm still in my researching phase for engine work. I've already decided on exterior and audio upgrade. Those will be done first. The only purchases I've made so far are a set of black staggered 20" Shelby Redlines, Black Roush Spoiler, Black Zinc coated dimpled & slotted GT rotors, GT caliper brackets, Hawk HPS pads, Sequential Tails, Shorty Antenna, Pioneer GPS AVIC-F90BT, Hertz Audio HSK-165 compo speaks and a Rockford Fosgate Power1000 Limited Edition Amp 5-channel amp.

Sorry for writing a book....I talk about my plans all day lol
Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

If you really want to build a engine why not go with the 5.4?

Quick Reply: Calling all gear heads!! Please Look..