Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

To weld or not to weld?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM
luckey13

Default To weld or not to weld?

My Pypes catted x-pipe system came with the clamps and all. I had my guy at meinieke put em up there, he asked me if I wanted to weld or not, and I told him I had the clamps the system came with.. Dont know if I am happy with the sound? Almost sounds like a small leak where a clamp is at the first bend by the cats and some air is getting out. Would welding where the clamps are now be better? Anyone have this issue? So I ask, weld or not? Thanks to all!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:55 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

I would think that welding will be better. I'm installing mine this weekend so I would like to hear what everyone thinks.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I had the shop tack weld mine.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:00 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Installation using those pypes clamps can be very tricky to not leak, but it can be done. if there is a leak, some pipe sealer or O2-friendly high-temp silicone (like copper rtv) can be used to seal up the joints.

Welding is ok if you wont be removing it in peices, and are OK with removing the entire assembly as needed, even if the cats ever need replacing.

Tack welding won't prevent leaks, but full welding, if done right, will.
Some of the ends of the peices are made so they squeeze together, and welding those would likely take a little more time from the shop, but it can be done.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

what was the cost of your installation? I've heard people not liking the pypes clamps but you can weld or go buy other clamps
Old 07-22-2009, 06:15 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I had mine tack welded because of the lack of craftsmanship from the Pypes clamps. I used the Ford clamp on one and the crappy Pypes on the other. One day I was crossing an intersection when I heard a scrapping noise and knew exactly what it was. I immediately pulled over and looked under my car. The mid pipe had come apart from the x pipe. My husband came with a coat hanger to hold it together until I could get to my car to the shop. The shop guy tack welded the pipe with the cheap Pypes clamp. That was summer of '07 and since I have not had any problems.

Here's a couple of pictures I took back then with my cell phone. Pypes clamp is the one on the left (shiney one). You can see the tack welding. Sorry for the quality;

Old 07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

That's Pype for you... real cheap cr@p!
So easy, a caveman can do it.
If you don't mind leaks that is...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Haven't noticed or heard any leaks. I do like the sound and looks much better than the single exhaust.

Pascal, I still love your front end!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:58 PM
trinity03
1st Gear Member

i think welding is much better...
Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like i will be having my buddy weld mine on at least like 07's with tacks on the clamps. That would be the easiest to remove if I ever want to down the road.

Quick Reply: To weld or not to weld?