Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Problems with acceleration v6 please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM
haloinreverse

Default Problems with acceleration v6 please help

I have an 08 v6 manual here is the problem I'm having.

The car is brand new bought it off the lot, it was left over. I've only put 6000 miles on it. I got the oil changed at 5000 miles to full synthetic. From a complete stop in first gear when I would hit the gas this car would just dart right off. Now when I hit the gas it's extremely sluggish up until about 3000 rpm's then starts to take off. I brought it down to the dealer for them to check out. They said no code comes up and they don't see anything wrong. They don't have another v6 08 or 09 to compare it to. I'm really upset and frusterated because this car is brand new and shouldn't be doing this already. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

that sounds kinda weird, I don't really know what to tell you. When I changed to synthetic, I didn't have any issues like that. You could check the air filter, maybe its plugged up?
Old 08-14-2009, 07:58 PM
haloinreverse

Originally Posted by Joshspony
that sounds kinda weird, I don't really know what to tell you. When I changed to synthetic, I didn't have any issues like that. You could check the air filter, maybe its plugged up?
Just checked that today, a buddy at work suggested the same thing so I checked it out today. No problems with it. I'm going to have the techs at the dealer ship change the fuel filter. We'll see if that changes anything.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Reset the adaptive learning, clean the TB and MAF and recalibrate the throttle. My guess it's the adaptive learning. Also, have you changed where you fuel up? A bad tank of gas could be the culprit.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 PM
haloinreverse

Originally Posted by Nuke
Reset the adaptive learning, clean the TB and MAF and recalibrate the throttle. My guess it's the adaptive learning. Also, have you changed where you fuel up? A bad tank of gas could be the culprit.
Hmm...I thought the adaptive learning thing only applied to automatics? If not, how is that done?

No I haven't changed up where I fuel at all, same place I always go.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

To reset the adaptive learning, turn off all accessories and open the hood. Be sure to close the doors and don't open them during this. Unbolt either battery terminal (positive is preferred but as long as you don't have a ground somewhere the negative will work) for 20-30 minutes. Afterwards, you may get a TPMS warning but just put a few miles on the car. Drive it like you stole it and allow the PCM to settle down after awhile (you may experience some rough idle and idle RPM fluctuations to name a few).
Old 08-24-2009, 07:21 AM
haloinreverse

To reset the adaptive learning, turn off all accessories and open the hood. Be sure to close the doors and don't open them during this. Unbolt either battery terminal (positive is preferred but as long as you don't have a ground somewhere the negative will work) for 20-30 minutes. Afterwards, you may get a TPMS warning but just put a few miles on the car. Drive it like you stole it and allow the PCM to settle down after awhile (you may experience some rough idle and idle RPM fluctuations to name a few).
Ok I reset the adaptive learning. Did it on Friday. However when I start the car up the idle is still a little erradic. How long should it take for this to calm down?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It should calm down after about 20 - 40 miles of driving, maybe less.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM
haloinreverse

It should calm down after about 20 - 40 miles of driving, maybe less.
Ok so I reset the adaptive learning. No change after about a week and a half. I did meet a very experienced mechanic at a bar on Saturday night and told him my situation. He immeditely said oh it's the synthetic oil. It's a thicker oil and slows all the parts down. He said go back to the dual blend (what the car came with) and you'll see your performance come right back. He was pretty confident about it. He said the synthetic is a give and take, you'll get more milage out of it but you'll lose performance, it's just a higher viscosity. So I'm going to try that this and I'll let you know how that goes. He did say it may take some time for the synthetic to completely work it's way out. Anyways. Yeah I'll let you know what's up. I'm thinking he's right because that was the only variable that changed in the car. The minute I pulled it out of the place that changed the oil I noticed it immediately. Alright talk to you later.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 PM
haloinreverse

One more thing. I just spoke to a friend tonight and told about my issue. He was surprised because he just got his vehicle switched over to full synthetic and he noticed a performance drop in his acceleration but couldn't figure out what it was. I don't think it's coincidence. I think this guy I spoke to at the bar was right. I'll switch back to dual blend this week and let you guys know what happens, so of any one else has this issue you know what to tell them.

Quick Reply: Problems with acceleration v6 please help