Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What oil did they put in there?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:39 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Default What oil did they put in there?!

I had my first oil change on my V6 done at the dealer about 5,000miles ago and decided on Saturday to just check the level (I'm just not used to a 7.5K service interval). In anycase the oil just looked really thin and really dark to me, it smelled ok (not burnt), but overall just looked not so good. I decided to just change it myself on Saturday - again it looked so thin and really dark when draining it.

My receipt from dealer said it was Synthetic Blend they used (but no weight was listed) I know its has been discussed here that the dealer uses a blend (or is supposed to), but is it possible they put in the wrong weight oil? I guess anythings possible..., but man there goes my trust in the dealer if they goofed up what to put in there!!!

So for my first change at home I used Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-30.
As far as interval - I think I'm going to stick to about 5K maximum, but I also changed gears recently, so I'm thinking maybe more like 3K max.
I plan to keep doing it at home (invested in some new rhino ramps), as far as I know, as long as I keep receipts its okay for warranty concerns.
Now, I'm thinking maybe next time to use different oil too, lots of debate on here on the best to use, but I will probably stay with a blend unless there is some further benefit to go full syn.

Last edited by laterider; 12-27-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:27 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

The stealership probably used Motorcraft Synthetic Blend......
Hopefully they used 5W-30, but it's certainly possible they used 5W-20.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:54 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

When changing oil on my past rides, I always went 3k. Maybe that how its gonna look after 5k. I guess I'll drain this at 3k and see - it isn't cheap either 3.50 a qt - quess I'll get sticker shock when I buy full syn!....lol....
Old 12-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Black oil is NOT indicative of depleted or bad oil.

Our engines come with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend; 5W20 for the GT and 5W30 for the V6. A dealership put 5W20 in my g/f's V6 when I bought it used but based on my experience and info from the forum, there was no harm but I still changed it after 5,000 miles with 5W30.

3,000 mile oil changes on a blend is too frequent unless you're beating it and/or driving a lot of short, stop-and-go trips. 3,000 mile changes is applicable to dino oil. The blends are good for up to 7500 miles but I change the blend in the g/f's V6 between 5,000 and 7,000 miles. I run full synthetic in the Stang and my SUV (tow vehicle) between 8,000 and 10,000 miles. I've run quite a few vehicles beyond 200,000 miles using these methods with absolutely no oil related issues. But to each his own empty wallet.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

at 5,000 i went to 5w 20w mobile synthetic, and a M1 210 mobile filter, i know have 11,300 checked the idiot gauge for % left, said 45%, checked the stick, same color as honey with hint of brown sugar in it, so 7500 is a good number,
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Black oil is NOT indicative of depleted or bad oil.

Our engines come with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend; 5W20 for the GT and 5W30 for the V6. A dealership put 5W20 in my g/f's V6 when I bought it used but based on my experience and info from the forum, there was no harm but I still changed it after 5,000 miles with 5W30.

3,000 mile oil changes on a blend is too frequent unless you're beating it and/or driving a lot of short, stop-and-go trips. 3,000 mile changes is applicable to dino oil. The blends are good for up to 7500 miles but I change the blend in the g/f's V6 between 5,000 and 7,000 miles. I run full synthetic in the Stang and my SUV (tow vehicle) between 8,000 and 10,000 miles. I've run quite a few vehicles beyond 200,000 miles using these methods with absolutely no oil related issues. But to each his own empty wallet.
Its look was out of my 'comfort zone' from what I have been used to when doing oil on some previous cars. The last ride I had (Nissan titan), it was such a pain getting the guard on and off to get to the filter/plug, I gave up and went to the dealer for two years, basically never even pulling the stick.

In days of old my dad had told me to give it the sniff test, checking for a burnt odor or bad odor. Not even sure if thats a valid test with oils these days, unless its been overheated.
I'm now up for doing it myself on the stang for various reasons, so I just need to get back in my 'comfort zone', I'll check it out at 3K, then go from there. I would rather change in the 5K-7K range saving $$$ and reducing time of my butt on the pavement..lol..
I seem to have gotten into more 'spirited' driving after doing a few mods, but I don't think I'm trashing it??? :-/..lol.. I had gotten into the habit of turning the O/D off on roads less <50mph - not sure if this is a good habit, but I was having fun, certainly the engine is reving higher when running around town with the O/D off, and now its reving higher with 3.73 I have. Also with O/D off the tranny does provide braking to the engine, so its taking load on slowing down too. I seem to have gotten out of that mood, but I'm sure it will come back. But again if this was a stick I would think one can and would drive it keeping the engine reving more into the power band than you can with running an auto with the o/d on.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

laterider, your driving habits that you describe are by no means very hard on your oil or engine. Knowing what I know about oil, I'd be comfortable with a 5,000-6,000 miles or more oil change frequency on a blend.

I change the blend in the g/f's V6 at an early 5,000 miles only because a very large % of those miles are short trips and stop-and-go. It's very typical for her to make at least 50, less than 2 mile trips per week. THAT'S tough on an oil with respect to some of it's additive packages.

I understand "comfort zone". Sometimes we look back and think in hindsight that our comfort zones were legit. Other times, we learn to know better. To each his own.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

I used mobil one in the 98 explorer same 4.0 sohc motor have 190K on it, for the mustang after the 2nd oil change I switched to valvoline full syn now they have a 300k guarantee if you use it. Almost more important is the type of filter you use the motorcraft is one of the best you can get made by Purolator. Stay away from fram the orange cans of death.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 48prerunner
...Stay away from fram the orange cans of death.
Despite the fact that Fram filters have been bashed for about the last 15 years or so, I used them in quite a few vehicles beginning 30 years back and many of those cars went over 200,000 miles using Fram filters and 3,000 mile dino oil changes. I stay away from them but if I needed an oil change and that was that was available, I'd be ok with it.

For the money, the Motorcraft is a great filter. Just don't go much beyond 7,500 miles with it.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

I have always used purolator filters in non-fords & motorcraft in past family fords. Glad to know they are the same as its a brand I trust. With that said, I've used a fram in a pinch when they didn't have my part & knowing I'd be changing back to other brand next change - never had a prob, just fram isn't my first choice. Does purolator have an equiv p/n to motorcraft FL-820s that can be had when the motorcraft shelf is empty? I've never had to check.

Quick Reply: What oil did they put in there?!