Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Mustang newbie with a plan.. (uh-oh)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Voltigasm

Default Mustang newbie with a plan.. (uh-oh)

Hey guys, first time posting here in the forums. Recently got my 2010 v6 auto a few weeks ago, and have been deciding on mods since then.

Currently I use my mustang for daily driving, 40 mins each way mainly highway. I have no plans to turbo or super my v6 at all, since I plan to eventually buy a GT later this decade. But until then, I want to ride the **** out of this thing and enjoy it for what it is, so my goal is basically to increase the speed on my car without placing my engine or other parts of my powertrain at serious risk of damage.

So I read many of the other threads in this forum and had a few questions about various things.

List of things I plan doing so far:
1. FRPP (duals and tune)
2 or 3. T-Lok and 3.73 gears (Even though I'm not adding any type of forced induction, should I go 8.8 or keep the 7.5?)
2 or 3. CAI and another tune (custom not procal)
4. Suspension upgrades
5. Exterior upgrades, etc.

I was also wondering if the larger gears could damage my engine in any way? I know I'm going borderline with voiding the warranty by doing these upgrades should a problem occur, so I want to keep possible powertrain failures to a minimum.

Also was wondering roughly how much my 0-60 time would improve (assuming I do 7.0 s right now) with all the mods I mentioned above. (I guess assuming also that the custom tune would be very good.)

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Voltigasm; 01-17-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

All the things you mentioned are good, you may want to look into a driveshaft and maybe even headers if you are interested in you 0-60 and 1/4 times. Check out my sig for the things I have. Its a whole new car and I havent even added gears yet.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Also on the rear end thing, you dont need to upgrade to a 8.8 but just make sure you get good parts and a good install, for me an 8.8 just makes more sense since I have big plans down the road and really the price difference isnt much at all for a takeoff, plus no worries of whine.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:51 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

All your mods sound very good. A CAI/tuner and duals will add some nice HP. If you go gears you will also need to install a T-lok. With the extra HP from the cai/tuner/exhaust the non T-lok 7.5 becomes almost useless. You will spin 1 tire forever even with stock 3.31s! Check prices in your area for gear/T-lok install as sometimes the price for the gear/T-lok purchase + install comes very close to 8.8 takeoff price. The install of the 8.8 rear is very easily done yourself compared to doing the gears/T-lok on the 7.5 rear. You will have to find a very good shop to install the gears right. Whine happens alot on the 7.5 even with a good shop. An aluminum drive shaft helps too. newtakeoff.com sells lots of GT parts(suspension, wheels & body)that fit our V6s. Check them out.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

The duals won't really add HP over a single takeoff GT muffler. It's mainly for looks and sound. I ran a single GT for 6 months and then upgraded to duals a few weeks ago. I'm happy with the upgrade, but there's no HP gain at all.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Voltigasm

Alright, so I was searching some info on the 8.8 axle and came across ford racing's website and found the axle, it said on there that the axle fits the gt (obviously) but didn't say anything about the v6. Would I need extra parts that the v6 doesn't have that the gt does in order to get it to work/fit? Thanks!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Voltigasm
Alright, so I was searching some info on the 8.8 axle and came across ford racing's website and found the axle, it said on there that the axle fits the gt (obviously) but didn't say anything about the v6. Would I need extra parts that the v6 doesn't have that the gt does in order to get it to work/fit? Thanks!
When replacing the 7.5 with the 8.8, you don't just replace the axles. It would be the entire housing, differential, and axles. It is one contained unit that basically just unbolts from your car and is replaced with the new one.

You said that you were thinking of 373s, right? Here is the link to "New Take-off." This is the entire rear end 8.8", 373s, and T-lok.

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_v6...373_ratio.aspx

Its a do-it-yourself kinda project.

Last edited by Joshspony; 01-20-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

If you factor in the $ for gears, $ for T-lok, and $ for install. You are better off just doing the whole rear end. Without the worry about the gears being noisy, which you don't want.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Voltigasm

Well yea, I asked because I was going to get T-lok and new gears, so why not replace the whole axle including the gears and differential. What I was asking was the difference between an 8.8 fitted on a v6 and one fitted on the GT. To clarify, I guess what I'm trying to say is can I rip out a 8.8 axle straight off a GT with the gears and the differential, and put it into a v6 without worrying about needing extra parts? Thanks.

Last edited by Voltigasm; 01-20-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Voltigasm
Well yea, I asked because I was going to get T-lok and new gears, so why not replace the whole axle including the gears and differential. What I was asking was the difference between an 8.8 fitted on a v6 and one fitted on the GT. To clarify, I guess what I'm trying to say is can I rip out a 8.8 axle straight off a GT with the gears and the differential, and put it into a v6 without worrying about needing extra parts? Thanks.
Sorry I mis-understood your question. Yes, it will bolt right on in place of the 7.5.

Quick Reply: Mustang newbie with a plan.. (uh-oh)