Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tune differences???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Default Tune differences???

Oh no, not another tune thread!!! I am just looking for some feedback on difference between tunes or possibly an incorrect tune...

I have been running a Brenspeed 89 tune for my sixer, I'm still running the stock airbox, my only mods are 3.73 gears/posi and a GT take off muffler.

The brenspeed tune was a big improvement over stock, shifts pretty good, no lag etc. Also, from a dig I can give it about half throttle and the wheels will spin.
When I say shifts good, it does, the shifts are firm, but come quick, it seems like it goes through the gears pretty quick rather than winding out each.

Now - I thought I would try a AM/Bama tune as I have read around the web, the auto tranny shifting is pretty cool.

Today I received a 91 tune for my car (had asked for 91 with emphasis on low end torque).

I filled a near empty tank with premium tonite and loaded the tune and took it out. What I instantly noticed was when coming off the line, where before I could halfway or so jump on it, it didn't spin. I tried it several times and it seems like I lost a lot of low end go, now from there the shifting seemed very different from the brenspeed. It seems like it will wind the gears out more before shifting. Also it seemed like power isn't coming till higher in RPMs. But trying again off the line, it was like nothing was there. I never went WOT off the line, but close - with the other tune I would have been fishtailing..

What I am getting at here is the just differences between tunes? maybe I didn't give enough info to AM on the details - but I really didn't give any details to Brenspeed either - just what my mods are... I would have thought asking for a torque tune would mean I would be getting power off the line? I am also wondering that maybe I didn't get the right tune from AM?
I loaded the 89 Brenspeed back in, went down the street and gave it some gas and was spinning wheels again. What am I missing?

Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:34 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I played with my tunes for a few months. 87&91Performance, 91 Torque and 91 race. These are Bama tunes. The race tune shifts as you described above. The 91T and 91P are both good tunes. I loaded the 87 performance for a trip a while back and have not taken it off. I just don't notice that big of a difference, so the 87P is what I'm running. That being said, I lowered the shift pressure, lowered the 2 fan settings slightly, lowered both rev limiters and changed one of the idle speeds.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

hmmm... very few people have tune from both people to compare like that. maybe that is how the 91 tunes are? i would say to get a fair comparison, you should apples to apples first. see if you can get a 89 tune from AM or a 91 from Breenspeed
Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
hmmm... very few people have tune from both people to compare like that. maybe that is how the 91 tunes are? i would say to get a fair comparison, you should apples to apples first. see if you can get a 89 tune from AM or a 91 from Breenspeed
I see your point, but I did take that in to account, just forgot to say it here..lol... I have 89 91 & 93 tunes from Brenspeed, they seem to all behave very similiar, they will all smoke the tires from a dead stop. You an feel the biggest difference between the 89 to 93 if you load them back to back. But again they all behave closely.

I just don't understand why power off the line is not there. This week is so busy, but I would like to load the AM tune again and check its performance, but I think the bottom end is just not going to be there. I am wondering if I should just send an email to am asking why no grunt off the line.

I would like to hear from any Bama people who run 3.73's if its easy for them to spin at launch easily...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

so i got my 87 tune from AM yesterday and loaded it up. it was an improvement but there was no WOW factor. it didn't feel like i was pulling a trailer behind me anymore but i wasn't able, but never really tried, to break the rear end loose. you said half throttle at a stand still? do you have an auto? i also see you have FRPP 3.73 Gears FRPP TLok, while i have the stock gears so....
Old 04-07-2010, 08:20 AM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoneyShot
so i got my 87 tune from AM yesterday and loaded it up. it was an improvement but there was no WOW factor. it didn't feel like i was pulling a trailer behind me anymore but i wasn't able, but never really tried, to break the rear end loose. you said half throttle at a stand still? do you have an auto? i also see you have FRPP 3.73 Gears FRPP TLok, while i have the stock gears so....
Yes I do have the auto and 3.73 gears installed. I remember one of the launches I tried on a road coming back to the house, it was like it was bogging when I nailed it, where the Brenspeed tune just produces more power and feels like it has some nads at launch. I am sure the 3.73s help with getting wheel spin, and I still think it should be doing the same with the AM tune. I decided yesterday to go ahead and email AM about it. I am wondering if the tunes from AM are not the same as what was available directly from Bama before. BUT - I have nothing to base this on since I didn't have a previous Bama tune AND I do not want to start rumors of information I don't have, if/when I get a response from AM I will post it here. I haven't added a CAI just tunes, but when I do it was going to be from AM, now I'm unsure...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:31 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I would like to hear from any Bama people who run 3.73's if its easy for them to spin at launch easily...

I can punch it and get the tires spinning a little. Straight, left turn, right turn. If I power break a little they both will light up quite nicely. The 87 performance actually is my best burn out tune.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I bought a JLT CAI/tune package from AM a few months before the merger with Bama and went with the ''canned'' 93 Performance tune. I was impressed from the start and then, a couple days ago, I decided to get an updated tune. (still 93 octane, same mods, just wanted to see if there was a difference between AM and Bama). I figured how much of a difference could there be between the two?

I still have to really test it out, but boy is there a difference. Shifts are way harder and acceleration is drastically improved. I'm still getting used to not squeaking the tires at green lights. I'm lovin' it
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 PM
ninohernes

Maybe I have a "factory freak" car, but with the stock tune, stock airbox and stock gears I can spin the tire (no t-loc lol) if I floor it. Although I would love to get some real tunes and an intake! My car is an 09' V6 auto. When I bought this car, I test drove a few different V6's and this one felt stronger than all the others. Strange... I'm not complaining, I love it, but I have no idea why this one seems to be more powerful than the others. Its as stock as stock can be with the exception of a drop in K&N filter that I put in.

Last edited by ninohernes; 04-07-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I have Brenspeed tunes. I have not tried Bama. It's possible Bama/AM gave you a less aggressive tune. Not sure if it's your DD or if you mentioned that to them. If you were looking for something specific, you could tell them and they will write it to what you're looking for. If you don't like the Bama tune, I'm sure AM will help you resolve it to suit what you want.

I find the Brenspeed tunes aggressive and I love it, even when I use it for DD. I just have to control and adjust my driving habits to suit my tune.

Quick Reply: Tune differences???