Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

best CAI for v6 mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Default best CAI for v6 mustang?

i want to get a CAI and tune but i want the most horsepower out of my CAI then add a tune to beef it up more. any links and maybe before/after numbers of hp gains would be great thanks yall!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:24 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I'd like to see this too!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:27 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

the american muscle website says the CAI gets 5-10 then the tune makes it almost 30 what about a CAI doin around 30 then you add the tune and get like 40-50?? that's be well worth the money!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

1st of all, forget the claimed HP gains. Even on the GT's the CAI & tune gains about 25 RWHP with about 75-80% of that from the tune.

Since all of the tune-required CAI's are equivalent in performance, I assume you use the term "BEST" (lord, I HATE that word) in regards to either best price, best quality or best look since those are the differences.

Regardless, the tune will also improve driveability, shift points (on an auto), throttle response and it also cures herpes and dandruff.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

C&L or JLT they offer nearly identiCAL gains and they have the "best" build quality and looks imho
Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 PM
07hotwheel

We put the FRPP CAI and tune on our V6 5 speed. Made quite a nice difference, and looks good.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
1st of all, forget the claimed HP gains. Even on the GT's the CAI & tune gains about 25 RWHP with about 75-80% of that from the tune.

Since all of the tune-required CAI's are equivalent in performance, I assume you use the term "BEST" (lord, I HATE that word) in regards to either best price, best quality or best look since those are the differences.

Regardless, the tune will also improve driveability, shift points (on an auto), throttle response and it also cures herpes and dandruff.
+1 Nuke nailed it. I would add that a) its all about the tune. CAI is little more than cosmetic without one. Be sure to go with a custom tune and not a prepack with the handheld; b) mods aren't cumulative. A claimed +10 hp vs +5 hp gain with CAI only doesn't automatically mean you can add +5 hp to a tunes claimed increase. HP increase are for marketing the product so take them with a grain of salt. Not to mention you can't feel HP so most people won't ever know if the gained any or not. Torque is what you feel and want to increase for seat of the pants feel. Each mod needs to work with the existing set up so for max gain you would need consider a dyno tune. For starters go with any of the customer tuner CAI/Tune packages ftw.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 AM
ward_spratlin
2nd Gear Member

imo c&l was the best ... tho i have only expirimented with that and k&n

btw im selling a used c&L CAI if anyone intested ( my car is now turbocharged and i do not need it thats why im not using it)
Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
+1 Nuke nailed it. I would add that a) its all about the tune. CAI is little more than cosmetic without one. Be sure to go with a custom tune and not a prepack with the handheld; b) mods aren't cumulative. A claimed +10 hp vs +5 hp gain with CAI only doesn't automatically mean you can add +5 hp to a tunes claimed increase. HP increase are for marketing the product so take them with a grain of salt. Not to mention you can't feel HP so most people won't ever know if the gained any or not. Torque is what you feel and want to increase for seat of the pants feel. Each mod needs to work with the existing set up so for max gain you would need consider a dyno tune. For starters go with any of the customer tuner CAI/Tune packages ftw.
With my CAI a tune is absolutely required. I returned my car to stock and it ran like crap because the CAI needs it. In most cases, a CAI and a tune go hand in hand. Definitely worth the money. CAI, tune, and gears are the biggest improvements you can make. The first thing you should do when modding is the CAI and tune, then gears. That'll make it a COMPLETELY different experience.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:05 PM
teetertotter
2nd Gear Member

I installed S&B CAI as made to ISO 5011 industry standards, 4 years ago. Requires no Tune. Adding any CAI to a V-6 may gain 5hp....10 at the most with a tune. For stock V-6 or the GT, per V-8 test by Mustang Magazine about a year+ ago, there is virtually NO difference than keeping the stock CAI. That included one that required a tune. Save your money. Get one if you want a couple more mpg highway driving. That's why I installed one as put 30K a year until late 2008 when retired. There is NO hoopla in CAI, but making more sound to think your engine is a NASCAR. If I remember in the article, you might gain 0.10 in the qtr. Just some tid bit info. Wish I could point to the issue as maybe May 2009 or 2008. It was quite an extensive CAI article from 4 manufactures installed on a GT, automatic. Quite an eye opener review.

Quick Reply: best CAI for v6 mustang?