Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I guess good news

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 AM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

Default I guess good news

A few months back I had a frpp lsd and motive 4.10 gears installed in my car, over the past few days I had experienced a extremely bad whine and almost like a grinding noise from the rear-end when I made a right turn. I took it back to the shop that did the work and I got the diagnosis today, apparently the shims on the passenger side for the ring gear "walked" themselves out of their slots and that's what caused my problem. They said they will be installing adjustable shims so this doesn't happen again. Anyone heard of this, would you say this is more of a installer problem or just bad luck, nothing has been damaged, so I won't be upgrading to the 8.8 quite yet.

Last edited by obxdude018; 08-16-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

if you bought a new rear axle witht he gears pre installed i would say no human error. you said you havent upgraded your rear axle, so assuming they installed the gears on stock rear end then i would say its human error on the shops part.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
if you bought a new rear axle witht he gears pre installed i would say no human error. you said you havent upgraded your rear axle, so assuming they installed the gears on stock rear end then i would say its human error on the shops part.
Thats exactly what it is and thats why I think I'd rather spend the extra money on a takeoff and know that no human error could occur gear wise...

Humans fail. Lol
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Thats exactly what it is and thats why I think I'd rather spend the extra money on a takeoff and know that no human error could occur gear wise...

Humans fail. Lol
...right, because axle assemblies grow naturally in the wild and are not assembled by humans in a factory.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crazyassracer
...right, because axle assemblies grow naturally in the wild and are not assembled by humans in a factory.
Thought machines were used.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

I just emailed Ford and asked how they assemble their rear axles.
I expect a reply any minute.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crazyassracer
I just emailed Ford and asked how they assemble their rear axles.
I expect a reply any minute.
I was assuming, I may be wrong. But at the same time let me re-word that, I'd rather have a take off axle assembled from ford then somebody at a shop that doesn't do it all day everyday. Better?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

ya, and it is possible for gears to be installed by a machine, this isnt the early 1900's anymore, not everything is done by hand. machines do ALOT of the work, and unless we get somebody on here that works on the assembly line then we wont know for sure. dont you ever what the show, "how its made" or "unwrapped" cause machines are capable of doing alot.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:16 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Beast
ya, and it is possible for gears to be installed by a machine, this isnt the early 1900's anymore, not everything is done by hand. machines do ALOT of the work, and unless we get somebody on here that works on the assembly line then we wont know for sure. dont you ever what the show, "how its made" or "unwrapped" cause machines are capable of doing alot.
Which is exactly why I figured they were made by machines... well atleast majority of it.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

My how this thread has jumped the tracks.
Now I am obsessed with finding out how they assemble rear axles.
I work next door to American Axle in Three River's. I will see if I can take a tour of the plant.
I have a history with the automobile industry, but more on the body side, not drive train. I have been in several vehicle assembly plants here in Michigan.
I wouldn't be surprised either way, but assume assembly would be done by hand due to the complexity of machine required to assemble an axle to specs.

Quick Reply: I guess good news