Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

06 clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 PM
diablo08

Default 06 clutch issue

I bought an 06 mustang about 4 months ago. It was very hard to shift but the dealer assured me it was just the after market shifter that was installed. (hurst comp shifter) I got a good deal on the car because no one else wanted to screw with it. Long story short got the car half way home and the transmission went out. Took it to the dealer because it had a 90 day drive warranty only to find out it was a brand new re manufactured transmission that the installer never put fluid in. After a month of messing around the dealer finally realized he should do something and I got a used transmission put back in, with equal or less miles than the car. This made it easier to shift but it still doesn't feel right. Looked into it being the shifter, turns out it was installed wrong. Again it helped a little bit but it still shifts hard, but only when the car is running. If the car is of it just falls into place. I'm thinking it is a clutch issue because everything else has been changed and the problem is still there. The dealer inspected the clutch and pressure plate and said it was probably installed with the reman trans . The clutch pedal is firm but disengages all the way at the bottom. My parents have an 05 GT and their clutch feels way better and disengages in the middle. Is there a way to adjust this? If not what else should i look into?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2010, 09:24 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by diablo08
I bought an 06 mustang about 4 months ago. It was very hard to shift but the dealer assured me it was just the after market shifter that was installed. (hurst comp shifter) I got a good deal on the car because no one else wanted to screw with it. Long story short got the car half way home and the transmission went out. Took it to the dealer because it had a 90 day drive warranty only to find out it was a brand new re manufactured transmission that the installer never put fluid in. After a month of messing around the dealer finally realized he should do something and I got a used transmission put back in, with equal or less miles than the car. This made it easier to shift but it still doesn't feel right. Looked into it being the shifter, turns out it was installed wrong. Again it helped a little bit but it still shifts hard, but only when the car is running. If the car is of it just falls into place. I'm thinking it is a clutch issue because everything else has been changed and the problem is still there. The dealer inspected the clutch and pressure plate and said it was probably installed with the reman trans . The clutch pedal is firm but disengages all the way at the bottom. My parents have an 05 GT and their clutch feels way better and disengages in the middle. Is there a way to adjust this? If not what else should i look into?

Thanks
The 05 GT is going to feel different because it is a different tranny and the clutch is shorter, no it can't be adjusted being it is a hydraulic clutch its just something you have to live with. If I were you, I would try to go back to the stock shifter and see how that works.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:58 PM
diablo08

i have been driving the car for about a year and the clutch had not changed until this past week. it will not disengage completely so i cannot shift into any gear while the car is running. if i shift it into gear and start it it doesn't try to pull the car but it is hard to shift out of gear. The car will start moving the second the clutch starts to move off the floor. The clutch also has a very hard push on it. I do not know if it is a stock clutch yet because i have not had time to pull the trans. Is it common for the slave cylinder/release cylinder could be worn out? the car has 71,500 miles on it but there has been three transmissions in the car that I know of so I have no idea on the age of the release cylinder itself. any other thoughts? I need to get the car fixed asap because I need it for work.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Could be the slave and clutch master cylinder have air in them and the hydraulic line. This is a common issue when changing the clutch or transmission in the S197 Mustang. The V6 and GT both user the same clutch master cylinder and slave. The only different part is the clutch itself so the following applies to both. To bleed the air jack the driver side front corner of the car up nice and high. Next cycle the clutch in and out all the way to the floor for about 10 minutes at about the normal speed you use when driving the car. It is a self bleeding system and can be a pain to get bleed but this usually does the trick. See if that helps gain any pedal on the clutch. If not do it again and maybe even a couple of time the next day. Also before doing this make sure the master cylinder reservoir which is shared with the brakes is full of fluid. If this does not help then it could be either the clutch is junk or the slave is junk and possibly the master but generally less likely. If they pull the clutch it is always a good idea the replace the slave at the same time. If is still has the original it could be shot. One more thing to check would be a kinked hydraulic line which could also cause an issue with the clutch. If it is a stock clutch and the pedal is real hard to push that could also be a sign of something worn out in the clutch itself. If the bleeding procedure does not help I personally would start by replacing the clutch and slave.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 06-05-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 PM
diablo08

I originally thought the clutch had air in it but bleeding it twice never changed it. The clutch pedal returns all the way to the top and remains the same pressure through the whole movement. The lines are all straight and kink free. I gave in and pulled the trans yesterday and found that my clutch disc has uneven wear along the outside and the pressure plate and flywheel have weird wear marks in the middle. Long story short I am in need of a new clutch anyways so it will be getting new clutch, slave cylinder and pilot bearing with a flywheel resurfacing.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM
diablo08

Has anyone used a centerforce dual friction clutch? I have read a few reviews that said they are much better than spec but I don't want to get one if it ks going to be too aggressive because my car is my daily driver.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 PM
dcfryauff

Originally Posted by diablo08

Thanks
My 08 is in the dealer for the same thing, they have been trying to figure it out for a year of so but just recently found the problem. I also could not get into a gear at times especially when cold. Turns out the shift fork instead of engaging the gears on the shaft to move them would sometmes hit and lock up a gear. the fork and a gear was wearing down. The remedy is replacing the upper shift mechanism including the shift forks, actuators and shaft.