Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Rough shifting, RPM issue? 2006 V6 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:28 PM
tbcaddy18

Default Rough shifting, RPM issue? 2006 V6 Auto

Hey all!

I'm a recent new and proud owner of a used 2006 Mustang V6 Auto with only 41,000 original miles.

I've been searching around but haven't been able to find a solution to my issue(s) as of yet.

Here's are my problems,

...when I'm coming to a stop it sort of shifts hard, it's not a smooth down shift when its going from 2nd to 1st. Is that normal for these?..it kinda feels as if its a manual tranny shifting down, but this is an auto so I would assume it should be a seamless shift.

My other issue is that the RPM seems to be a bit erratic sometimes, not too bad, but noticeable. ..like for example, when I'm cruising at 45mph and I let go of the gas the rpm stays steady like the cruise control was still on, but its not...and thus the car just barely slows down.

Could the IAC Idle control have a part in this?

...one other thing too ive noticed is that when I put the car in reverse it sometimes jerks when the gear changes, like a motor mount was broken or something.

Thanks for your inputs!

-Tabz
Old 10-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure you have anything more than the normal quirks or not. But I'd do some routine preventive maintenance items like replace the fuel filter, clean the throttle body and the MAF sensor, run a tank or 2 of either Techron fuel system cleaner or SeaFoam, consider tranny and rear axle fluid changes.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:22 PM
tbcaddy18

Thanks for the response. I'm planning on changing both the oil as well as the air filter tomorrow as they're both quite dirty.

As far as the throttle body goes, I cleaned that last week, however I have yet to clean the MAF...will probably do that tomorrow as well.

Where is the fuel filter located on these models?

Thanks,
Tabz
Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

The fuel filter is on the under side of the car on the driver's side, there is a big plastic cover that hides it, it's about half-way between the front and rear tires.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:30 PM
tbcaddy18

Thanks, I'll take a look for that when I change out the oil tomorrow.

Do I need to bleed out the line before changing the fuel filter, or should I just let it drain until it stops then change the filter?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's a How-To in the stickies. You don't need to release the fuel line pressure since most folks didn't get a lot of fuel spewing out but you can always pull the fuel pump fuse and crank her til she stalls.

Getting the cover off to get to the filter (it's underneath, below the driver's seat) is a PITA, IMO. I had the drivers side up on ramps. That darned cover was the worst part of the job if you ask me.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 AM
tbcaddy18

Hey all!

So I was able to change the oil today along with a new air filter. I also cleaned the MAF and did the resetting method for the adaptive idle thing where I unplug the battery for 30 minutes and go through the steps with letting it idle after warm up for 1 minute along with another minute of idling with the AC on...and finally driving around for at least 10 miles.

So far one or all of these procedures seems to have fixed (for the most part) my rough idle and rpm issues.

But I still have one issue left and that is when I put it into reverse the gear feels like it slams into R and rocks the car. It does it on both a slope and on level surfaces. I was thinking that a cable might be outta adjustment, but I'm assuming these new cars don't have cables..not like my old cadillac..lol

Any ideas? Anyone have a similar issue with the Reverse in their Automatics?

Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:41 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I have a bit of that when I throw it into reverse. I don't know how bad yours is, but mine is minimal enough that I don't worry.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I notice that a bit on my g/f's '06 V6 Pony. I don't consider it excessive. Are you noticing it mostly when the engine is at high idle? I'm thinking that you're simply used to the more refined, soft shifting of the Caddy.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

try this. make sure that the first thing you do before you park and last thing you do before you leave is pull/release the e-brake. no more jerky drive train for me!

Quick Reply: Rough shifting, RPM issue? 2006 V6 Auto