Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Specific Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:56 PM
amwilson86

Default Specific Tune Question

Currently driving a 2007 4.0 L V6 with BBK CAI (no tune - this tune boasts that you do not need one which is why I am writing this...). I am debating on whether or not I should get a tune. I want to increase performance but am wondering if it is worth it. The BBK tech staff said that if I do get a tune, I should choose a tune that is designed for my stock air box because that is what the CAI mass air meter replaces. Any advice from someone that has a BBK CAI and tune would be great, or anyone else that wants to chime in with advice, feel free. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amwilson86
Currently driving a 2007 4.0 L V6 with BBK CAI (no tune - this tune boasts that you do not need one which is why I am writing this...). I am debating on whether or not I should get a tune. I want to increase performance but am wondering if it is worth it. The BBK tech staff said that if I do get a tune, I should choose a tune that is designed for my stock air box because that is what the CAI mass air meter replaces. Any advice from someone that has a BBK CAI and tune would be great, or anyone else that wants to chime in with advice, feel free. Thanks.
I don't know who you talked to at BBK but call back and get someone else. The no tune BBK CAI does not replace the stock MAF sensor, it just replaces the tube and air box. You use the factory MAF in it. Also if you do decide to get a custom tune designed to work with your BBK the best you can hope for is around 15 to 20 hp and that's using a 93 octane tune. And that's going to be the case for just about any tune / CAI combination regardless of the manufacturer.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

What he said! ^^^^^^^
Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Do yourself a favor and get a tune. Don't fall for the no tune required blasphemy. Mine threw a code for running lean about a month later. The most power gained is from the tune in conjunction with the CAI. The CAI is very minimal on it's own. Since I got the tune, I never looked back. Brenspeed can write you a custom tune for the BBK CAI and if you have any other mods.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:29 PM
VistaBlue09
1st Gear Member

Go for the tune! Just because it's no tune required doesn't mean you won't get better performance from a tune. I'm glad I got mine to go with my BBK. I'd recommend AM and their Bama tunes.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:40 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Definitely get a tune, you're tuneless CAI is doing almost nothing without it and you'll have a whole lot more fun with your car.

I did use my tuneless K&N for a while, no trouble codes, picked up an MPG, and got a decent sound out of it, but the tune definitely woke the car up.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:32 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Do yourself a favor and get a tune. Don't fall for the no tune required blasphemy. Mine threw a code for running lean about a month later. The most power gained is from the tune in conjunction with the CAI. The CAI is very minimal on it's own. Since I got the tune, I never looked back. Brenspeed can write you a custom tune for the BBK CAI and if you have any other mods.
You didn't read the part in the instructions where it says to "Disconnect the battery". It may be different on the GT but on the V6 if you read the instructions you won't get a code, I never did.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'll bet nobody has told you that a CAI w/o a tune is about useless for performance and even fewer nobodies told you that a CAI & custom tune is one of the bigger bangs-for-the-buck short of going FI.

Shhhhh... don't tell anyone, though. We don't want word to get out.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:07 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amwilson86
While I applaud BBK's effort, their cold air intake is far from designed for a stock MAF calibration. The car will run lean like crazy without recalibrating for the difference in volume with that cold air intake kit. The tune is not only 100% necessary to make sure that air/fuel ratio and fuel trims are within spec, but it will enhance the entire driving experience.

Before/after will be night and day difference. Throttle response, power throughout the entire curve, etc. We eliminate the annoying throttle hang, slop in the automatic transmission and other factory driving quirks!

Get a tune!

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-x3...ash-tuner.html
Old 10-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Just be careful amwilson. These car forums (regardless of the type of car) are a treasure trove of bad information put out there by guys who don't have a clue what they're talking about. There's some good information too. Unfortunately there's not a BS meter in the corner of your screen to warn you one way or the other.

Quick Reply: Specific Tune Question