Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Finally Bought F/I!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Finally Bought F/I!!!

I finally pulled the trigger on a ProCharger Stage II setup. After talking them down a few hundred bucks under the initial price I couldn't pass it up. While it should be here in a couple weeks I won't be installing it until the weather warms up. What I would like to do now is whittle away at all of the supporting mods I might need/want.

My 4.0 is pretty much stock except the canned SCT tunes I installed. I also purchased a JLT CAI (Thanks Adam12!) that should be here today. I also bought(but have not installed) a screamin' demon coil pack and a set of live wires. Before I get into the meat of my post riddle me this....This weekend when I'm changing my oil and installing the CAI/Canned SCT SF3 tune should I install the new coil pack, wires & some new plugs?? My car just passed 60k and I figure it's time to replace the wires & plugs which is why I initially purchased the package. I guess I'm just a little leery because I think I'd rather wait to install the S/C and just put new plugs/coil/wires in then. Also, what type of plugs would you guys recommend? I keep hearing about just sticking with Autolites or NGKs. Has anyone with this coil pack actually opened the gap up to .065? Is that recommended with a S/C?

I know that while I don't 'need' supporting mods I kno they all help. My list of what I want is substantially larger than what I will get into here. What I want to discuss here is best 'order of purchasing' just in case my mod budget starts to wane around the time I want to do the install.

I planned on upgrading a few things, but I would perfer to buy the most expensive items first. I'm thinking of getting the stuff below. I already own an uninstalled off road Prochamber, which is why I'm partial to MAC LTs. If anyone can think of something to remove, or something cheap to add I'm all ears...
8.8" Rear w/3.73s - approx $900
Tokico D-Specs - Approx $520
Mac Ceramic LTs - Approx $340
BBK Throttle Body(on the fence..is it worth it?) - Approx. $310
Vogtland Springs - $177
Pypes Hi Flow Cats(needed so I can pass emmissions) - Approx - $100
O2 Extentions - $100

after I get this stuff I think I'll be ready for installing the S/C. What type of suggesstions do you guys have? I left off a catch can...are those needed??
Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Not required, but makes a pretty nice difference if you're a non-PP stang like myself. Front and rear sways from a GT or better. You can pick up takeoffs pretty cheap. Add some poly bushings and it will handle a lot better

Just something to consider

I can't speak for the TB, but I'd definitely research it or wait for someone who has one to give their opinion. From what I've read, seems like they cause more problems than they do good. But I have no experience with them

Last edited by Alec; 11-01-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm...that's food for thought. How much of a difference do the sways make for you? My complete mod list is quite extensive, but I don't think I had these on there either...so I may add them. Is there a difference between the gt and the gt500 ones?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:34 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Congrats, I just got my Vortech V2 intercooled last week! Won't be installing until Thanksgiving or so.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
Hmmm...that's food for thought. How much of a difference do the sways make for you? My complete mod list is quite extensive, but I don't think I had these on there either...so I may add them. Is there a difference between the gt and the gt500 ones?
I noticed a very nice difference immediately. The non-PP's don't have a rear sway and the GT front is larger than the stock V6. Car rides on rails now, and handling is much sharper. I'd personally go with the GT sways unless you plan do any Auto-X or racing. They are plenty sufficient for a DD imo
Old 11-01-2010, 01:44 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I put a rear GT sway on with poly bushings and it was like night and day. My car stays so much flatter in turns.

I have a 'circuit' through a park that I like to drive, average speed is higher through the whole thing.

I also use an on ramp to test the speed before it starts to swing out, exit speed went from 45 to 60 until I felt the same feeling on the rear. You will be happy with it.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I put a rear GT sway on with poly bushings and it was like night and day. My car stays so much flatter in turns.

I have a 'circuit' through a park that I like to drive, average speed is higher through the whole thing.

I also use an on ramp to test the speed before it starts to swing out, exit speed went from 45 to 60 until I felt the same feeling on the rear. You will be happy with it.
^ I agree with this
Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I have GT rear + Front's... The rear won't fit cause my exhaust is in the way I've tried it. Also the front sway bars I just haven't had time to install. Trying to sell them.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I have GT rear + Front's... The rear won't fit cause my exhaust is in the way I've tried it. Also the front sway bars I just haven't had time to install. Trying to sell them.

While I would love to jump on yet another mod I have a drop top and the bars are different between that and a coupe. My mod list is quite large...the ones listed are just the ones I planned on getting around the time I installed the S/C. I have plans to build out the suspension...but I want to do the rear end, drive shaft & exhaust before anything else. Are you guys saying sways are super important?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the F/I club !!! prepare to smile !!!

Quick Reply: Finally Bought F/I!!!