Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

muffler deletes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Default muffler deletes

hey guys i was wondering if anyone with the 4.0 has custom muffler deletes on their dual exhaust?

I got the NTO true dual exhaust with gt mufflers and i recently saw a great deal from this 2006 GT owner who is selling custom muffler deletes with borla tips.

if anyone has a set up similar to this one please post.

I thought since the price was low enough i might as well try it.

Oh and im not interested in getting SLP loudmouths or anything like that.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:26 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

SLP loudmouths are essentially muffler deletes

I fabbed up a set of muffler deletes and ran them for awhile. It was louder than the gt mufflers of course, which I also used with my v6 dual exhaust setup (when I had it). With your x-pipe, it might not sound very good, though. You can get a rough idea by simply removing the mufflers and see how it sounds (supporting the over-axle pipes of course, and driving with windows rolled down).
Power-wise, it wont make a difference; but it WILL be louder! With stock cats, it'll actually sound pretty good, unless the X smooths it out too much. With headers and high-flow cats and x-pipe, my deletes made the car sound like a bee. Way too ricey!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang

I fabbed up a set of muffler deletes and ran them for awhile. It was louder than the gt mufflers of course, which I also used with my v6 dual exhaust setup (when I had it). With your x-pipe, it might not sound very good, though. You can get a rough idea by simply removing the mufflers and see how it sounds (supporting the over-axle pipes of course, and driving with windows rolled down).
Power-wise, it wont make a difference; but it WILL be louder! With stock cats, it'll actually sound pretty good, unless the X smooths it out too much. With headers and high-flow cats and x-pipe, my deletes made the car sound like a bee. Way too ricey!
yeah, maybe ill remove my mufflers and test that out. thanks :^)
Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang

I was just gonna say after seeing videos on YouTube muffler deletes sounds like a pissed off bumble bee in a coffee can. No cats sounds very similar.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM
diablo08

how much does the x-pipe change the sound of the v6. I bought mine with duals but without any crossover and gt mufflers? also what does it do power for power?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by diablo08
how much does the x-pipe change the sound of the v6. I bought mine with duals but without any crossover and gt mufflers? also what does it do power for power?
So if I'm understanding you properly you have dual exhaust with a reverse Y at the axle, feeding 2 mufflers looks like >----< (sorry on the blackberry) limited to what I can draw.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

To be honest I have yet to hear a 4.0 that has your set up all have been true duals (go hard or go home) so can't speak of difference in sound, as far as power neither one is going to add much power (hp or torque)
Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM
diablo08

my set up is true duals just without any cross over. so i just have two pipes the full length of the car but there is no sort of crossover between them. It is very obvious that it was hacked together because of the way it was done. I also forgot to mention there are shorty headers on my car too but they flow into stock cats so i'm not sure what that does for performance either.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

You have what is called divorced duals, the headers will help sound and add a little performance
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
diablo08

so would adding an x-pipe be worth it?

Quick Reply: muffler deletes