Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Does Anyone Here Drive With a Semi Automatic Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Does Anyone Here Drive With a Semi Automatic Transmission?

I'm thinkin about putting a semi automatic transmission into my v6 automatic. Does anyone here have any experience in this kind of work - or this kind of transmission?

I basically need all the info I can get - thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 09:05 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Nope, mines full auto, all the time...Sorry lol.
But seriously, what do you mean semi auto? A tiptronic or something? If so, they are really complex transmissions, and most mustangs come with a version of it, if you have an auto tranny, just look at the 1-3 under the drive. Those are it, you can switch while driving, just like a tiptronic/shiftronic.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Semi-automatic? It's a Ford. Give it time and it'll become semi-automatic... It'll only work some of the time. But I don't suppose that's what you mean.

Why spend the money on something that unusual? It would have to be expensive. Go by a manual GT.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Because I can't drive a manual lol

Okay, I say CAN'T, but while I KNOW HOW TO, I just HAVEN'T
Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Nope, mines full auto, all the time...Sorry lol.
But seriously, what do you mean semi auto? A tiptronic or something? If so, they are really complex transmissions, and most mustangs come with a version of it, if you have an auto tranny, just look at the 1-3 under the drive. Those are it, you can switch while driving, just like a tiptronic/shiftronic.
And yeah thats what I mean - only I would have control over all 5
Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
And yeah thats what I mean - only I would have control over all 5
Ok, so it sounds like you just want to drop in a new transmission with tiptronic capabilities. NOT possible from what I know, but even if it is, there are a lot of other things that will have to be replaced/adjusted. I am NO expert but my assumption is youd need a new DNE computer, wiring, cooling, a mount for the new tranny?...And possibly more, im not sure. Im sure someone more knowledgeable will answer you with more detail, but its not an easy job im sure of that. Also itll cost a pretty penny for the upgrade, it would seem a manual swap would actually be easier. Im not saying tiptronic is a bad idea (pretty cool actually) but a manual conversion is easier/cheaper/less time consuming. Just saying.

On a side not, I've tried the 1-3 shift thing on my stang too, when do u downshift? cause I always cause a lot of engine braking, and I dont like it, any optimal time to downshift so avoid that? Thanks.

Last edited by aaquib1992; 12-06-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:24 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

For the autos, I downshift at around 1000rpms to save on braking.

For the semi-auto, it could work but would cost a lot. The Ford Thunderbird uses the 5R55N transmission, we have the 5R55S, I am not entirely sure what the difference is in mating to the engine. The Ford Thunderbird also has "Select Shift" and option found in Fusions and Milans and similar to VW/Audi Tiptronic. Last year I looked in to swapping the shifter and computer and using it in my car but its a lot more complicated than that. I don't know if the computer will match up and even if it did, you wouldn't now what gear you were in because unlike those other cars, we don't have a dash area designated to show what gear we are in. I would love to have select shift in my Mustang since 5 speed manuals were no where to be found when I bought mine. You will end up spending a ton of money to find a way to make it work. just buy a TCI Ratchet Shifter
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Semi-automatic? It's a Ford. Give it time and it'll become semi-automatic... It'll only work some of the time. But I don't suppose that's what you mean.

Why spend the money on something that unusual? It would have to be expensive. Go by a manual GT.
This is true
Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Nuke
Semi-automatic? It's a Ford. Give it time and it'll become semi-automatic... It'll only work some of the time.
Originally Posted by Alec
This is true
I don't know how true that statement is. I have 159,000 miles on my Mustang - a lot of track time with burnouts and hard launches. No transmission problems here.

Last edited by JimC; 12-07-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I don't know how true that statement is. I have 159,000 miles on my Mustang - a lot of track time with burnouts and hard launches. No transmission problems here.
Well I have 63k, 0 track time, very few burnouts and mods in my sig and am without my car this week

Guess I got an unlucky one

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Here Drive With a Semi Automatic Transmission?