Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Going back to stock intake. Is that ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

Default Going back to stock intake. Is that ok?

I have had a bbk CAI for just about a year now. I never got a tune for it. I want to go back to the stock intake. Will my car be ok if I do that? I will disconnect the negative battery cable so the computer can reset. Is that right?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

It should be fine as long as the battery is disconnected. Be careful and don't do anything to mess up :-)
Old 01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

No reason why it shouldn't be fine. Just be careful, don't wanna mess up anything.

Mind telling us why though? Are you selling it? Is it messed up?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:12 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

I have a real bad rattle. And someone else on the forum had the same problem. He got a tune and it went away. I don't have the money to buy a tuner at the moment. So by going back to the stock intake I hope for the rattle to go away. If it doesn't then I know it's not the intake. But come tax return time I will buy a new intake and tuner as a combo
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A rattle caused by an intake? Really?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:48 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure if its the intake, but like i said theres another guy on here that had the same problem, he tuned it and it went away. I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

A tune wouldn't fix it anyway. Not sure why that worked for your friend but the tune has nothing to do with it. Mine does the same thing. In lower temperatures, such as we have around this time of year, the heat shield around the filter will rattle. Mine does it when I first put the car in gear and a load is put on the engine. After a minute or so it quits, probably because things get heated up under the hood and expand. I'm going to put my stock intake back on the car for the same reason. I only bought the BBK for looks and it's not worth the annoying rattle. Frankly you can't really get anything substantial out of these cars performance wise unless you are prepared and able to lay down multiple thousands of dollars for a set of heads or X-Charger, etc etc. At that point you might as well get yourself a GT. That's where I come out on it anyway. I'm sure most of the guys on here who have modded their V6 won't agree. I'm not opposed to people modding their car mind you. I'm just looking at it from a dollars vs benefit ratio. I wouldn't blame you for putting the stock intake back on. The BBK isn't doing anything for you from a performance standpoint to begin with and the rattle is pretty annoying.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:10 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your help Whitehorse. I'll be putting the stock intake on tomorrow and I'll let you know!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
bfeels
1st Gear Member

Its like Whitehorse said It only happens as soon as you put the car in gear when it's cold and when you give the car a little gas. I think I will go back to the stock intake. Then wait till tax returns come and buy myself something new. With a tuner
Old 01-02-2011, 09:22 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Are you sure you had it on tight with no leaks? Mine used to rattle occasionally at idle and after I checked over the install and tightened, it stopped.

Otherwise it will be fine going back to stock intake since you don't have a tune. It may need to go through adaptive learning again.

Quick Reply: Going back to stock intake. Is that ok?