Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2006 mustang startup hessitates

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Default 2006 mustang startup hessitates

So this past week i went on a trip for 3 days. i came bak home and started my car... the battery was dead.... so i jump started it and now the car runs perfectly fine now.. so i drove it a while everything was great... until now when i try to start the car, the starter hesitates first sound lik its not gonna start and then it starts.... could this be a battery problem? or a starter problem? i had this battery for less than 2 years. wat should i do?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If it is doing it when cold outside there are two possibilities that first come to mind.

Battery has a low cold crank amperage

or

your gas has ice in it

If you can, either wait overnight then take your battery to an autozone and have them test it. Do not drive the car there. Take the battery out of the car in the morning and take another car over, try not to use any heat in the car because you don't want to warm the batter at all. don't put it on your lap either. If it test low then its the batter. Second option is to take the battery out of your car one night and keep it in your house where it is warm, next day connect it up before you start it. Maybe while in your house leave it in a warm room. If it starts up no problem, then it is probably a low cold crank.

For ice, try a bottle of isoheet at your next fuel up. it is suppose to evaporate the water and keep fuel from icing in the lines.

If these methods don't clear it up, they were cheap ways to test it. Now you may move on to more serious/expensive components.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sounds battery related to me. Some batteries that discharge don't return to a useful service life. Others need coaxing. When you say "...the starter hesitates first sound lik its not gonna start and then it starts...", can you describe this better? Is the cranking unusual?

After jump starting, to properly recharge a battery you can't just "drive around"; not even for a # of hours. The alternator is designed to maintain charge and not fully recharge a near total discharged battery. Additionally, on these charging systems, it doesn't take much to weaken the charging system resulting in continued battery problems with accelerated discharging.

I suggest you have the alternator and battery load tested (again).
Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

We might be having the same problem, I have replaced my battery and alternator and the car will discharge itself within a few hours and now with even disconnecting the power to the battery when it is setting it is very weak when I reconnect it, when I reconnect it and try to start it, it acts like it doesn't want to turn, it will make a few slow cranks, and then it will crank over, it also takes a little longer than usual to crank it over. Is this similar to your problem.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

do you both have a stock radio?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
We might be having the same problem, I have replaced my battery and alternator and the car will discharge itself within a few hours and now with even disconnecting the power to the battery when it is setting it is very weak when I reconnect it, when I reconnect it and try to start it, it acts like it doesn't want to turn, it will make a few slow cranks, and then it will crank over, it also takes a little longer than usual to crank it over. Is this similar to your problem.
very similar... but it was funny cuz when i went to a repair shop to tighten some bolts. it started up perfectly fine... but when i did a car wash. and started it up it went bak to its normal bs thing
Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 PM
SYNY5TER
2nd Gear Member

it turns out it was a batterys fault.. -_- heres another interesting story.

so i took the car to kragens to test out the battery. they said it was perfectly fine. so i was lik ok then its not the batterys fault. so later on i drive drive and noticed one time the car started but no electric... so hmmm ill test it again, but not kragens.... so i took it to autozone my favorite parts store. they say the battery is bad. so i was lik sweet! i found the problem. took it to sams club cuz thats where i got my battery and warranty provided.. and the guy at the shop said we dont carry ur batterys.... -_- makes no sense. so we checked out my battery on the car... wat do u kno it was a different battery... great... so the whole time when i replaced 2 alternators was because of my battery.... we got the refund and bought a battery at autozone...

life lesson hear today dont take ur car to stupid companys unless if u hav too... -_-
Old 01-18-2011, 11:33 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Did you get a duralast gold series? they're pretty good as long as you don't have an insane amp for multiple subs

Second lesson for life: if at first something doesn't seem right, get a second opinion (from another shop).
Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Usually when normal wet cell batteries ( not marine) are allowed to go completely dead, the chances of having a bad cell increases dramatically. With a bad cell, the alternator works really hard to bring the battery up to where it's supposed to be and in turn eventually damages the voltage regulator. I just had my alternator go bad and it was replaced along with getting a new duralast gold battery.