Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Borla or Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Default Borla or Flowmaster

I am planning on changing out the stock exhaust and wanted some advice from people that know more than I do. American Muscle is running a great deal on the American Thunder Flowmaster exhaust. My question is the Borla worth the extra dough? I just want my car to have a "beefier" sound. Some extra performance would be great, but I just would like a semi-GT sound.(please no "why didn't you just buy a GT?" remarks, I do not own a time machine and cannot change my current vehicle.)

I have checked out the audio clips, but most say their's is the greatest. So if someone could actually give me pro's and con's and not just personal preference I would greatly apprecitae it. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

i have borla stingers (ford racing stingers) same thing, only marked "ford racing" on the tips.

they are for sale for 300 if youre interested. i had flowmasters, these are way more aggresive.

Originally Posted by Hotwheelracer
I am planning on changing out the stock exhaust and wanted some advice from people that know more than I do. American Muscle is running a great deal on the American Thunder Flowmaster exhaust. My question is the Borla worth the extra dough? I just want my car to have a "beefier" sound. Some extra performance would be great, but I just would like a semi-GT sound.(please no "why didn't you just buy a GT?" remarks, I do not own a time machine and cannot change my current vehicle.)

I have checked out the audio clips, but most say their's is the greatest. So if someone could actually give me pro's and con's and not just personal preference I would greatly apprecitae it. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the offer, I have a couple questions. Why would the exhaust your selling be better than what American Muscle is offering for $189?

How long have you had the Borla and how long was it on your car?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:52 AM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

oh, you obviously dont have the ford racing borla stingers, not for that price. anyway good luck with it. i have posted vids on here of my exhaust on my car, if youre interested, check it out.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the offer, I have a couple questions. Why would the exhaust your selling be better than what American Muscle is offering for $189?

How long have you had the Borla and how long was it on your car?
I think you're talking about the single muffler Flowmaster... JD has both, I believe...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I think you're talking about the single muffler Flowmaster... JD has both, I believe...
I was talking about the single. If you convert to dual, do you need a replacement bumper or can the original be cut?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
oh, you obviously dont have the ford racing borla stingers, not for that price. anyway good luck with it. i have posted vids on here of my exhaust on my car, if youre interested, check it out.
The price was for a simgle Flowmaster not dual.

Where can I find your videos? I tried to go how your profile but could not find them.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Have you checked out Mac axelbacks? I am very picky with exhausts and the 4.0 and they sound pretty good from what I've heard
Old 03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
Have you checked out Mac axelbacks? I am very picky with exhausts and the 4.0 and they sound pretty good from what I've heard
Just from what I've listened to on Youtube. I lked the American Thunder from Flowmaster and the Borla exhaust.

Just trying to decide whether I go the less expensive route and just swap out the stock muffler for the American Thunder($189 on AM), or do I go the GT take off's and convert to dual and spend $300-$400.

Besides just the look of going to dual, what are the advantages? Is it that much louder? Do you pick up a coouple of horses?

I am not looking to race anyone, I would just like a little deeper muscle car rumble from my pony.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Rnstanger
2nd Gear Member

Just from what I've listened to on Youtube. I lked the American Thunder from Flowmaster and the Borla exhaust.

Just trying to decide whether I go the less expensive route and just swap out the stock muffler for the American Thunder($189 on AM), or do I go the GT take off's and convert to dual and spend $300-$400.

Besides just the look of going to dual, what are the advantages? Is it that much louder? Do you pick up a coouple of horses?

I am not looking to race anyone, I would just like a little deeper muscle car rumble from my pony.
When I was still single, I had Flowmaster and after that GT take offs. The Single GT takeoff was perfect as far as the single muffler was concerned. Then I went to duals with the GT takeoffs and they sounded weak. So I got the Ford stingers and that's where it sounded great. That is after I put in some resonators thanks to the head splitting drone. But yeah, the advantages of duals is basically looks. And better sound when you get your set up right.

Quick Reply: Borla or Flowmaster