Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need some advice on what to do next with exhaust....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Mustanggurl07

Default Need some advice on what to do next with exhaust....

I'm new to the thread and this is my last resort at this point, here's the deal....I have an 07 4.0L stang.....I had it dualed out w/2.5 inch piping to cat w/xpipe and first tried the flowmaster exhaust..waste of money....sounded like a riceburner!!! UGH!!! Took it to my custom shop guys....ended up putting magnaflow exhaust on, I also have it tuned, lowering spring kit and a cold air on it....the power "for a V6" is there but the sound just isn't! I have been U-Tubing 4.0 L stangs for exhaust.....considered glasspacks next and or straight pipes w/muffler deletes....if I could afford to redo the headers I would but not in my budget at this time as I'm on my 3 set of brand new tires as well....I am at a loss...with the amount of money I have invested, I probably should of bought the GT at this point because I just can not find anything that gives me the sound I'm looking for. I know it will never sound like a V8 but please.....can someone tell me what they've done to get their V6to sound bas ***....like a Mustang should???
Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

If you dont mind DRONE, the MAC Mufflers sound really good on the 4.0 a friend of mine has them on his 4.0 and they sound awesome. Another friend gave me a set of MAC's and I had them on my car for exactly 2 days and the drone drove me absolutly nuts and went right back to the GT mufflers. Im sure others will chime in
Old 05-13-2011, 07:18 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

I went down a similar path when I had my '05 V6. I have the solution!!!

The solution is a mid-muffler system--and that doesn't mean you have to order the Pypes mid-muffler system, or any other $400+ system. The solution is two simple resonators, or glass packs, supplied by your local muffler shop.
Here's what you do:
-Remove the axleback mufflers you currently have.
-In their place, have the exhaust shop install 2.5 inch pipes with nice tips (possibly the tips from your existing mufflers)coming out the back.
-In FRONT of the rear axle, have the shop weld in 2 glasspacks or resonators. There is room for this in the area saddled by the gas tank.

This is the exact set up I had on my '05 V6 and it sounded awesome! At idle, it sounded like a V8. Under heavy acceleration, it sounded very aggressive--no buzzy rice sound--and absolutely zero drone.

When I had this set up, there was NO other mid-muffler system on the market. Now, Pypes has a mid-muffler set up which is just like what I created.

Like you, I tried multiple set ups. I had true duals with no cross pipe-- sounded like crap. I ran no mufflers-- crap. I put in Flowmasters--crap. I added the h-pipe with Flowmasters--great idle, but raspy on take off--I was embarrassed to floor it. Then I went with the set up I described above--and it sounded awesome.

There's another guy here named Project 85 which did the same thing, and from what I remember, he loved it. A guy I work with did this 2 weeks ago on his '09 V6 and he wanted to kiss me.

Ultimately, it'll never truly sound like a V8, but it will definitely make you feel more proud of your car, it'll definitely sound like a good performing car.

You don't need to add headers-- just try this set up, and trust me-- you'll be impressed.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Mustanggurl07

WOW!!!Thank you so very very much!! I have read so many other forums where people like me...well maybe not girls....lol....have asked similar questions and were not only insulted but cursed out left and right about being stupid for wanting their V6 to sound better. Sorry...if I wanted to pay $600/month on a car payment I would of bought the GT from the door....but I am a mustang girl through and through and the amount of time and money already invested already is crazy and I can hold my own against any stock GT out there at this point....so bring it on!!! .....I am definitely going to take your advice and print this out and give it to my custom shop guy who has been working with me on my car for years....I'm just so picky with sound it's crazy and like you I put the flowmasters on first and was crying as I drove it down the road so embarrassed that I took it right back and made them take FM off, yeah with the 2.5 inch pipes $500 down the drain....I currently still have the 2.5 inch pipes to the cat w/x pipe.....so at least I won't have to do any more pipe work.....I will definitely email you as soon as I get this done which will be soon and let you know how I made out.....I just don't want to keep wasting money on crap that makes my mustang sounds like bees or a rice burner.....if I wanted that I would of bought a Honda!!!! Again I really appreciate your advice!!!! Thank you!!!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Mustanggurl07

sorry...forgot to ask...which did you use the glass packs or resonators?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

I did Dynomax Bullets in the mid pipes and Pype Bombs for the axlebacks.

Here's a vid from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMvYPzpR3MU
Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Hey that's awesome that you're going to try this out. You won't be disappointed!

I went with 2 Magnaflow glasspacks--part number 18185

Go with some nice 3.5"-4" tips and it'll look and sound great. My only other advice is *possibly* taking out the X-pipe and going with an H-pipe. Yes, X-pipes flow a little better, but they tend to sound raspier than the H-pipe.

Post up some pics and sound clips when it's done! Good luck!

Now--as far as hanging with a stock GT--I had an '05 V6 and now drive an '08 GT. There's no comparison. The only 4.0 that is going to hang with a S197 4.6 GT would have to be supercharged or turbo'd at least.
I would agree that you could hang with a stock New Edge GT though.
Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on what to do next with exhaust....-18125.jpg  

Last edited by AmericanICON; 05-14-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 PM
shiftworker
1st Gear Member

I have macs on mine and luvem but and the drone is a pain, has anyone ever tried putting sound barrier in the trunk area?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Mustanggurl07

Thanks again for the advice and will post pics/sound clips when I'm done! You have given me the best advice so far and am really excited now that I know something will actually work......lol...yeah you're probably right about my car not being able to smoke a newer GT....but guess what I did...guess they were too scared of their car or just didn't know how to drive!!! LMAO!!!! Yeah supercharger is next years project!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:56 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

I have an slp powerflo its a single exhaust and a straight through muffler but it sounds amazing, I turn heads everywhere and people are like "Thats a v6???" I dont know how it would sound with duals but the reason why I kept it single is because it is louder, if you go with duals then it would quiet it down a little cuz of two mufflers

Quick Reply: Need some advice on what to do next with exhaust....