Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

curious question

Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ares05
how many times have you had to replace yours?
I have 35,000 miles on the car in a 1 1/2 years still the original clutch, dont see it being replaced any time soon
Old 06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
pbfoot

I taught my teenage son to drive a stick 2 weeks ago.He smoked the clutch up pretty good but I do not expect any problems even with 80000 on it.Anyway kevin is right,replacing a clutch every 120000 or so is a lot cheaper than rebuilding an automatic.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Gen5_40
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by obxdude018
It all depends how you work with the clutch, if you clutch dump, ride the clutch, downshift alot, use it to brake, then yes it won't last long, but if you take care of it, then you can get easily 5+ years with it(depending on how many miles you use the car), my last car was 17 years old and had the original clutch, I only replaced the clutch when the motor blew and decided to go with a spec 3 clutch.
+1
Many factors are associated with clutch wear. I have experienced varying results over 9 manuals autos and 8 motorcycles. Some factors are related to the equipment: heavy/ light clutch, type and amount of clutch friction material, amount of torque being transmitted to the drive line, transmission design etc. Other factors are in the hands (or foot as the case may be) of the user: "riding the clutch" - resting your foot on the clutch when not actually using it to engage/ disengage the transmission; results in slight slippage of the clutch which will burn friction material over time (time depends on how often and how heavy you rest your foot), "Popping / Dropping" the clutch -releasing the pedal by sidestepping it rather than removing pressure by raising your foot smoothly, "running the Friction Zone" / "slipping the clutch" - allowing the vehicle to continue forward / reverse movement for more time than necessary at the point where the clutch is starting to engage the transmission, down shifting and improperly matching road speed to the speed for a particular gear - shifting to say 2nd gear at 50+mph or down shifting while going down hill and not matching engine speed to road speed will put undue stress on your clutch and drive-line.

While there are a lot of things you can do to hurt the clutch being smooth and learning how to use the clutch properly will give many years of service from the clutch.

Last edited by Gen5_40; 06-09-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys for all the answers, really am greatful! wanting my next pony to be a manual, it sounds like more fun!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I paid $2,000+ for my auto trans to be rebuilt. A clutch is not going to cost anywhere near that
Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

as another question, I know we have a had another discussion about swapping from an auto to a manual... sound expensive and not really worth it
Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Gen5_40
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ares05
as another question, I know we have a had another discussion about swapping from an auto to a manual... sound expensive and not really worth it
I believe if you change to a manual from your current auto trans you will need either a different or reprogrammed computer to work with the manual. You will also need to get the clutch pedal etc... I do not know the cost of this but if I were going to do such a change I would seriously look at the manual used in the GT and get an adapter plate. I understand the GT 5 speed is much smoother.

Other members: If I am off base on this please correct me.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Who told you that you'll have to replace the clutch every 2 years? Either they've had HORRIBLE luck with manuals, can't drive a manual, or is feeding you nonsense just to sound like they know something. I've had mine since June 23rd 2007 and 48k later, no problems at all. I don't baby my car: about once a week I'll downshift into 2nd when 3rd is really what is called for and about twice a week I'll do some full throttle runs from 0 to 70 just to relieve stress after work. I've almost never downshifted to slow to a light, almost always popped her in neutral and coasted.

You won't have to worry about a new clutch unless the previous owner abused it, you ride the clutch, or you find yourself grinding the gears often. Enjoy the car, have a little fun, but just be aware of how you're taking care of your ride.

Like prevously stated rebuilding a tranny will cost some serious money- a ton more than replacing a clutch. So when you do grab a manual, enjoy it! It's a ton of fun! Just don't let those who know nothing about cars stress you out.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

First and foremost... every two years? I would imagine clutch life far more dependent on how many MILES. Additionally pursuant to usage / abuse / etc. I bought my 05 with 52K miles on it and currently I'm at 110K with the original clutch.

I've always been very easy on clutches and actually have never had to replace one. A buddy finally had to replace his clutch on his 99 GT at 180K miles about two years ago so that should speak volumes.

As it were... having driven all shapes manners and forms of standard trans vehicles... one you get the car rolling, if you develop the "feel" for it... you can drive the car WITHOUT USING the clutch. Yeah, you have to time your rpm vs. your speed, but it absolutely can be done.

Ya think our manual transmissions are a bit balky? NOTHING compared to the 3 speed (with 4th granny gear) "crashbox" (read - non snyncromesh) transmission in my 1952 Ford Pickup!

Always remember: "Every time you use that clutch... is one less time you get to use it!"

;-)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Ares05
2nd Gear Member

and just for the record I never said "the clutch should be replaced every two years" someone else did that I called them out on. I was just curious the reality of the livelihood of a typical clutch and how to maintain it well. (just for the people posting in this thread thinking I am stupid)