Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tuning, octanes, and mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:58 PM
threz

Default Tuning, octanes, and mod questions

So I finally have enough money to get myself a bbk CAI as well as an svt sf3 from AM and I've been looking into tunes this whole time. The more I read, the more confused I get.

I understand that I have the choice of tuning the car for higher octane fuels such as 91 and 93 octane.
Some people have been putting low octane fuel into their cars that are tuned for higher octanes. Is this at all safe, fuel efficient, or does it provide some extra umph? I'm just not sure how these tunes work and what the recommended tunes are for a 2010 v6.
What benefits do I get from tuning the car for high octane fuel?

Also, I know the sf3 comes with some preset tunes. Are these helpful at all?

Apologies for being such a noob when it comes to all this. I'm just starting to get the idea of modding.

Within the next few months I'm planning on converting to true twin exhaust, adding new headers, and possibly switching the gear ratio to 4.10 (not sure yet as I am on the highway a lot)

Are there any other mods that you would recommend for a starter like myself?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

93 octane tunes will net you about 7hp more from what the tuner who made my tune says. If you tune for one octane, only use that fuel. Running different octanes than the tune can be dangerous. Your car expects the fuel to handle certain timing, if it can't you could have detonation (premature combustion) which is bad.

For the rear, buy a GT take off with 3.73's. If you do a good deal of highway driving they will still give you much better acceleration but also give a better compromise on fuel mileage. What transmission do you have?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 AM
everett
2nd Gear Member

If it's a 4.6 2v then don't bother with a cai. Doesn't help these motors.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by threz
So I finally have enough money to get myself a bbk CAI as well as an svt sf3 from AM and I've been looking into tunes this whole time. The more I read, the more confused I get.

I understand that I have the choice of tuning the car for higher octane fuels such as 91 and 93 octane.
Some people have been putting low octane fuel into their cars that are tuned for higher octanes. Is this at all safe, fuel efficient, or does it provide some extra umph? I'm just not sure how these tunes work and what the recommended tunes are for a 2010 v6.
What benefits do I get from tuning the car for high octane fuel?

Also, I know the sf3 comes with some preset tunes. Are these helpful at all?

Apologies for being such a noob when it comes to all this. I'm just starting to get the idea of modding.

Within the next few months I'm planning on converting to true twin exhaust, adding new headers, and possibly switching the gear ratio to 4.10 (not sure yet as I am on the highway a lot)

Are there any other mods that you would recommend for a starter like myself?
I will highly recommend you get the JLT CAI & SCT Tuner from American Muscle. BBK CAI doesn't require a tune therefor no real change from just having the stock air box.

Only run the proper octane for the selected tune, You can run a higher octane but never run a lesser.

I would also recommend you get a dual exhaust. Too bad NewTakeOff.com no longer sells the kit for the 2010, but from what I understand is that the will sell you the kit without mufflers at a reduced price. then all you need is to find mufflers that are compatable with the 2010. 2005-2009 gt mufflers are too short and will sit recessed in the rear valance. doesn't look right.

Enjoy
Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

OP, no need to apologize, everyone starts at some point in time!

NEVER run a higher octane tune with a lower octane fuel. And like Conejo said, don't go with the bbk cai, go with one that requires a tune. The cai's that require tunes will net you more power.

I went with an 87 street tune a few years back as I was living off of a highschool busser's salary. Didn't even cross my mind to consider 93. I'll be grabbing a 93 performance tune in the near future as fuel prices are getting lower by the day and i can more than afford it.

If you've got a manual and do a good deal of highway driving, grab the 3.73's. It'd be a pain to be shifting around town with 4.10s too...
Old 06-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What they said. You'll find the 87 custom tune will run circles around the stock 87 tune. The higher the octane tune, the few more RWHP over the custom 87 tune in addition to reduced or eliminated throttle lag with all the custom tunes. If you're an auto, you'll also see improved shift points. Order tunes for the octanes that you have available. American Muscle or Brenspeed technical support can answer all your questions. And all of the tune-required CAI's are equivalent in performance so buy whichever suits your eyes and wallet.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM
threz

Wow, thanks for all the help everyone.
I'll definitely tune for a higher octane as the price difference between fuels is not that significant.
As for the CAI, you all have convinced me to go with JLT

My next mod will definitely be splitting the exhaust. Thanks for the info on the muffler size, I'll be careful with that.

Does anyone have experience with the "ford racing" mufflers? Seems like a good buy.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I love my Tunable Inductions CAI and I think it beat the JLT by 1-2 hp.... negligible but replacing my $65 Green Airfilter for free makes them a win in my book!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 PM
7gtthrilla
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
I will highly recommend you get the JLT CAI & SCT Tuner from American Muscle. BBK CAI doesn't require a tune therefor no real change from just having the stock air box.

Only run the proper octane for the selected tune, You can run a higher octane but never run a lesser.

I would also recommend you get a dual exhaust. Too bad NewTakeOff.com no longer sells the kit for the 2010, but from what I understand is that the will sell you the kit without mufflers at a reduced price. then all you need is to find mufflers that are compatable with the 2010. 2005-2009 gt mufflers are too short and will sit recessed in the rear valance. doesn't look right.

Enjoy
^AGREED
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 PM
threz

Jcon,

Do you know if an sct tuner bought from american muscle will work with the tunable inductions cai? I really like their free tunes for life deal, something I can't get with TI, but I'm not sure they'll recognize a non-americanmuscle aftermarket part. Did you buy the package on the TI website(tuner+cai)?