Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI differences...

Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HenryinFlorida
...you should just buy an K&N replacement filter for teh stock box. That will give the same upgrade...
Incorrect.

Albeit the CAI makes up the smaller portion of the power gain, a good CAI with the custom tune will yield roughly 4-5 more RWHP on the 4.0 than with a drop-in. The K&N drop-in yields NO power gains, despite the false advertising.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:08 AM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Incorrect.

Albeit the CAI makes up the smaller portion of the power gain, a good CAI with the custom tune will yield roughly 4-5 more RWHP on the 4.0 than with a drop-in. The K&N drop-in yields NO power gains, despite the false advertising.
I beg to differ. The K&N filter allows more air through so it has to be better than stock. Now, I agree it is probably a very small, mabye even a non recordable difference, but it does have less air restriction.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I beg to differ. The K&N filter allows more air through so it has to be better than stock. Now, I agree it is probably a very small, mabye even a non recordable difference, but it does have less air restriction.
Before I got the JLT CAI, I had a K&N Drop in from 15,000 - 30,000 miles with the tune. From 30,000 - 37,000 miles was with the JLT CAI & Tune.

The K&N made absolutely no difference in performance then having the stock filter. The best thing about the K&N is that the filter is washable, and less restrictive then the stock air filter. Stock replacement filter around $25, K&N around $50 so actually will save money in the long run by buying the K&N.

There was a noticable change in performance with the JLT CAI over the stock airbox/K&N filter with the tune.

I wouldn't waste my money on a cai that doesn't require a tune, if you are going to do it, do it right the first time.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

...you should just buy an K&N replacement filter for teh stock box. That will give the same upgrade...
BAD ADVICE AND FALSE INFORMATION ALERT!!!!
Really should research a subject before giving advice man.

You are 100% WRONG in that statement.
Gah I dunno why but it urks me when people drop in one of those and think they have done something to boost their performance. It's almost my number one pet peeve when it comes what people do to their cars and talk about...
I think its due to the fact when I was in high school a kid did that and talked as if he had a damn supercharger slapped on his car lol!

AHHHHHHHGGGRRRGGHHH it's like nails an a friggin' chalkboard when I hear it!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 AM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
BAD ADVICE AND FALSE INFORMATION ALERT!!!!
Really should research a subject before giving advice man.

You are 100% WRONG in that statement.
Gah I dunno why but it urks me when people drop in one of those and think they have done something to boost their performance. It's almost my number one pet peeve when it comes what people do to their cars and talk about...
I think its due to the fact when I was in high school a kid did that and talked as if he had a damn supercharger slapped on his car lol!

AHHHHHHHGGGRRRGGHHH it's like nails an a friggin' chalkboard when I hear it!
OK, Before you go off on me any further maybe you should go back to school and retake your reading lessons. What I said was "before you spend your money for a NON-Tuner enhanced CAI" got it, non tuner "you should buy the K&N filter for your stock air box" my point was, why spend $200 for a CAI that wouldn't improve performance. I then said " you would get the same upgrade" actually meaning no real upgrade. I was just trying to show the K&N filter was the better alternative to a non tune CAI. What's so morally wrong with that, and who made you the top mechanic around here.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I think the point that both Blacksmoke and I were trying to make was to NOT spend the money on either and to put that $$ towards a CAI & custom tune. Performance-wise, wasting money on a drop-in = wasting money on a no-tune required CAI.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:34 PM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I think the point that both Blacksmoke and I were trying to make was to NOT spend the money on either and to put that $$ towards a CAI & custom tune. Performance-wise, wasting money on a drop-in = wasting money on a no-tune required CAI.
That's not what he said, He was in a very attacking mode and being an *** about it.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

I went through and wrote down the info for some of the intakes with tunes showing the HP/TQ gains on American Muscle.

Brand HP/TQ
JLT - 30/36
C&L - 26/34
Airaid - 26/36
BBK - 23/32
K&N - 18/27
Ford Racing - 25/36
Old 10-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by The01Cav
I went through and wrote down the info for some of the intakes with tunes showing the HP/TQ gains on American Muscle.

Brand HP/TQ
JLT - 30/36
C&L - 26/34
Airaid - 26/36
BBK - 23/32
K&N - 18/27
Ford Racing - 25/36

When are people going to learn that advertised #'s don't mean squat?

Last edited by JimC; 10-08-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Nuke - no need for that crap
Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

I was doing some searches throughout the threads and found this and thought it might give people a idea. Excuse me for posting what I thought might be some useful info for 4.0 owners.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CAI differences...