Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Synthetic Oil? Does it make a differance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
rodtod11

Default Synthetic Oil? Does it make a differance?

I have a 2008 Mustang with the V-6. 20K miles is all. Recently I took my Harley in for an oil change. It has the 96 ci engine. It was only $20 to go to synthetic oil so I said, why not. I thought the only benefit would be a longer period between changes. As soon as I got back on the road I was pleasantly surprised to find it had more power adn just ran better then with standard oil. When I asked other Harley owners they said the same , synthetic was better for them too. So, would I see the same effect in my Mustang V-6?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

some say its in your head. i just put royal purple in mine for the first time and it MAYBE seems more powerful. its kind of hard for me to tell. and i havent gone through a whole tank of gas yet so im not sure if im getting better mileage, although for where i am in the tank it seems that i might be.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Shelby350Mike
2nd Gear Member

Synthetic Oil is good no matter what. More durable, and a little power increase.

However, Royal Purple is really good to swap into your rear and trans, heard it makes a huge difference from my friend.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My car runs faster after I wash it, too.

Synthetic will allow longer oil change frequencies. I change my GT's oil at 8k - 10k miles, depending on how hard I run the car, conditions, etc. I've also had many cars that went well over 200,000 miles on dino oil changed every 3k-4k miles. I use synthetic blend changed at 5k-6k miles in my g/f's '06 V6. Take your pick. Performance gains due to synthetic are minor. IMO, any "noticeable" gain is a placebo effect.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 AM
JimC

I usually go with a blend but once in awhile the shop is out of the blend and gives me the full synthetic (Mobil 1). I've never noticed a difference in the car with the full synthetic vs the blend.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I use synthetics. Call it peace of mind or cheap insurance, it sure as hell can't hurt
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Alec
I use synthetics. Call it peace of mind or cheap insurance, it sure as hell can't hurt
183,000 miles using the 50/50 blend here with full synthetic only when they are out of the blend - doesn't seem to have mattered on mine. Not saying that the synthetic hurts, just that I don't think the blend has hurt either.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

Synthetics can withstand temperature changes MUCH better than conventional oils, it's great to use where temperatures either get extremely cold or extremely hot-or both (Gotta love Wisconsin weather, where one week it's 90, the next, 45). I use a full synthetic in the Camry (it's required) and a half synthetic in the Maxima and Mustang, but once the 4.6 gets dropped in the Mustang, it's going to full synthetic.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:50 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelby350Mike
Synthetic Oil is good no matter what. More durable, and a little power increase.

However, Royal Purple is really good to swap into your rear and trans, heard it makes a huge difference from my friend.
Synthetics, yes. but avoid royal purple like the plague... I put it in my transmission and within 100 miles it was impossible to shift into third without grinding. Swapped in a generic cheap mercon V fluid from Autozone and it was slightly better but still problematic. Took it to the dealership and they told me the third gear syncro was toast and I was going to have to replace it, which would have cost a buttload of $$$. Instead, I went on the advice of some guys on here and put Amsoil ATF in. The tranny has grinded twice in the last 2 months in any gear, instead of every goddamned shift.

Moral of the story- if youre going to use a synthetic, go straight to the good stuff. Dont almost kill your car like I did
Old 09-19-2011, 04:43 PM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

^Not sure why you had so many problems with RP, I use it extensively and it's actually a huge improvement over factory fluid.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil? Does it make a differance?