Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Synthetic Oil? Does it make a differance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I use Amsoil in the Stang and M1 in my SUV (tow vehicle). Since the SUV gets harder use than the Stang, I sometimes wonder if I have it backwards. M1 is a very good oil. Although Amsoil is better, I don't feel that my SUV is being neglected and I typically get over 200,000 miles before trading my M1-fed SUV's (only because I can afford to get another, not because I need to).

When I was using my Stang for a lot of long distance driving and putting about 20k miles per year on it (and it still wasn't my DD), I changed the oil at 10k mile intervals. But since I don't make those runs anymore, the Stang sees maybe 4k-6k miles per year. I change the Amsoil at 1 year intervals now. Even though the mileage on it is about 1/2 it's usefull life, there is time factor that I don't care to push the envelope on. My mindset for the past 30 years has been 3k or 6 months on dino, 6k or 6 months on synthetic blend and 10k+ or 1 year on full synthetic. I've had too many vehicles that were fed on those schedules that went beyond 200k miles.
Good to know...I think I will stick with the M1 unless I get talked into Amsoil in the future. Thinking I will also stick with the 'every spring' interval too.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Needless to say, I had forgotten that my last oil change on the Stang was with Pennzoil Ultra.

If you store the car for the winter, it would be better to change the oil as soon as possible close to storage. I used to store my Stang before moving south and the last thing I wanted to do was put the car in storage with oil that had already seen enough miles to allow contaminants to attribute to the formation of acids and sludge.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 PM
5.ohhhhh

synthetic is the best way to go no matter what especially if you care about your car. Your better off spending the extra few bucks and going synthetic and it'll last you longer. I use mobil one high performance synthetic and cant complain
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.ohhhhh
synthetic is the best way to go no matter what especially if you care about your car. Your better off spending the extra few bucks and going synthetic and it'll last you longer. I use mobil one high performance synthetic and cant complain
What will last longer? Your oil or your engine?

I've had a lot of cars go well over 200,000 miles on dino oil changed every 3k-4k miles with just as few issues as those that went over 200,000 miles on synthetic changed at 10k mile intervals.

If you drive a lot and don't want to be on your back every 3k or 7k miles, go synthetic. If 5k mile oil changes suit your fancy, save some $$ and use a blend. Your engine will last just as long no matter what type of oil you use; dino, blend or synthetic; provided you change it at a frequency that fits that oil and your driving and environment. Just use a good filter. You can't beat the OE filter for up to 7k-8k miles.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

Needless to say, I had forgotten that my last oil change on the Stang was with Pennzoil Ultra.

If you store the car for the winter, it would be better to change the oil as soon as possible close to storage. I used to store my Stang before moving south and the last thing I wanted to do was put the car in storage with oil that had already seen enough miles to allow contaminants to attribute to the formation of acids and sludge.
One person says don't let the old oil sit in it all winter, the next says why waste 5-6 months of oil life just sitting in the garage. Which is the right way?

On one hand the oil contaminants aren't good for things sitting over the winter, but the new oil will start breaking down from sitting all winter, right?

Thinking about that now...your reasoning sounds better than the one I've been following. Sounds like the pony is getting its annual oil/rotation before the snow flies.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I was told somewhere it wasn't a good idea to switch to synthetic if you have been using dino for your car? Is that true?
Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I heard the same about switching to synthetic after using dino. Although I've been told it's an old wives tale, there CAN be some minor issues on a very small % of engines. I had a '97 Camry that I switched to synthetic afterr 37k miles. It began smoking a little on startup; leakage past the valve seals; and returned to normal shortly after changing back to dino. I've also heard folklore of minor leaks that also go away after changing back.

Since these engines come from the factory with synthetic blend, there's no issue going to full syn. A large number of forum members use full syn.

As far as using up life on oil in storage, you're using life up regardless if it's at the front end or back end of the oil's life. I'd rather store it with clean oil than contaminated oil. It just makes sense. And with synthetics, my philosophy is 10k miles (which is actually conservative; some folks go to 15k or more, especially those that have their oil tested) or 1 year. So, if I change it before storage and don't drive a lot before the next winter, it's only one oil change a year. If you're crankling about 20k when it's in use, figure on a change at mid-year and another at storage.

And another thing: black oil is NOT bad, ineffective oil. I really despise people insisting that it's oil change time if the oil is black.

Last edited by Nuke; 10-28-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Joshspony
3rd Gear Member

As far as using up life on oil in storage, you're using life up regardless if it's at the front end or back end of the oil's life. I'd rather store it with clean oil than contaminated oil. It just makes sense. And with synthetics, my philosophy is 10k miles (which is actually conservative; some folks go to 15k or more, especially those that have their oil tested) or 1 year. So, if I change it before storage and don't drive a lot before the next winter, it's only one oil change a year. If you're crankling about 20k when it's in use, figure on a change at mid-year and another at storage.

And another thing: black oil is NOT bad, ineffective oil. I really despise people insisting that it's oil change time if the oil is black.
Yeah, thinking about it now it does make more sense to change it just before storage. As far as the black oil, if the oil is dark it is doing what it is suppose to do. People that freak out when their oil is black and think that its junk are just uninformed. My thought is to follow a regular interval based on time, miles, driving conditions, and environmental conditions. As long as you change it regularly and the engine will last a LONG time.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Bruno's 06

That was my thought, I had oil change done this morning, I will be storing for winter and just seems to be a better feeling knowing that the oil is fresh. I had M1 put in with a M1 EP filter.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:07 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bruno's 06
That was my thought, I had oil change done this morning, I will be storing for winter and just seems to be a better feeling knowing that the oil is fresh. I had M1 put in with a M1 EP filter.
Why don't you just drain the oil for the winter and put fresh oil in when you take your car out of storage?