Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Power? or control? or a little of both?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM
06v6Enigma

Default Power? or control? or a little of both?

sup guys ^^! ok i just ordered my screaming demon coil pack and taylor wires (allready have plugs)! so the question is this> should i invest in upper and lower rear control arms/suspensioon etc. or tap into the temptaion of HP+ parts :P? or make it even steven? input greatly apreciated
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Send the coil pack and wires back. Get a CAI+Tuner combo
Old 11-03-2011, 06:38 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

what kind hp are we talking ? If you don't have C.A.I. and a tune, I'd go with that first, if you do have it, power adder is only real hp gain.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
Send the coil pack and wires back. Get a CAI+Tuner combo
+1

I hope you aren't expecting any power gains from that garbage. Also, aftermarket COPs are known problems. Better to research before knee-jerk buying sprees.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
JimC

Once you have the power you want to get it to the ground - but it is a "chicken and egg" situation as to which to do first.

And as others are saying, the stock coil pack and wires, and the stock plugs are fine. No real gains in making that change. On my car, with supercharger, I run the cheap plugs with no problems at all. When I had nitrous on the car I was running the stock autolite 5143's as well.

So get a CAI and tune - then you will need the LCA and UCA to get the power to the ground. That is the starting point, get the added performance of the CAI and tune (don't waste money on the "no tune required" CAI - if it doesn't need a tune, then that tells you nothing was changed).

With the CAI and tune, get the LCA and UCA - and while you're at it change to an 8.8 rear end. Cheaper to do that than to pay someone to tear the 7.5 open and put a tlok and gears in.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
06v6Enigma

i figured cai+tuner would b next, ill have to save a bit then but hey it's cool! well in that case what do u guys think about the ford racing cai+sct tuner combo at americanmuscle.com then? im tempted to go to that one cause of how well it seem's to block heat out! Any thought's?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:04 AM
06v6Enigma

Originally Posted by JimC
Once you have the power you want to get it to the ground - but it is a "chicken and egg" situation as to which to do first.

And as others are saying, the stock coil pack and wires, and the stock plugs are fine. No real gains in making that change. On my car, with supercharger, I run the cheap plugs with no problems at all. When I had nitrous on the car I was running the stock autolite 5143's as well.

So get a CAI and tune - then you will need the LCA and UCA to get the power to the ground. That is the starting point, get the added performance of the CAI and tune (don't waste money on the "no tune required" CAI - if it doesn't need a tune, then that tells you nothing was changed).

With the CAI and tune, get the LCA and UCA - and while you're at it change to an 8.8 rear end. Cheaper to do that than to pay someone to tear the 7.5 open and put a tlok and gears in.
Cool, sounds like a solid idea to me, thanks! what do u think about the ford racing cai+sct tuner combo at american muscle.com? i like it cause of it's heat barrier seem's pretty good!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:20 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

youll love the FRPP and tuner kit, thats what I have, no regrets.

@ Jim, do upper/ lower LCAs really help that much even on a NA pony?

BTW, just so you know, DO NOT ask about throttle body spacers or which CAI is better

Last edited by stags; 11-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 AM
06v6Enigma

youll love the FRPP and tuner kit, thats what I have, no regrets.

BTW, just so you know, DO NOT ask about throttle body spacers or which CAI is better
lol point taken >.>! thanks for info btw!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I'm N/A and have the UMI poly/roto LCAs and Weld-in brackets. Wheel hop is virtually eliminated and there's more traction. It's kinda hard to describe but you know how when you punch it from a stop and you feel the front end lift a little and the rear squats? The set up I have stops that and keeps it in control. It's a good mod IMO

Last edited by Alec; 11-03-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Power? or control? or a little of both?