Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Looking for more power.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Crobattt
1st Gear Member

Default Looking for more power.

i have a 05 v6 with a stock engine, nothing is aftermarket and even the stickers are still on all the parts. I'm looking for a way to upgrade my car. I know i want a CAI, but im a little afraid of a tune, because i still have a warranty on my car and i don't want to void my warranty. Besides a CAI what else can i do?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, a CAI & tune will not void your warranty unless you're a wuss and let the dealer tell you that. It's BS but sometimes a fight. They have to prove that the CAI & tune was responsible for the failure.

A stand-alone CAI on the 4.0 may net you 3-4 RWHP. A good custom tune with that CAI is worth about 15-20 RWHP plus improved throttle response.

After that, it's 3 HP here, 5 HP there unlerss you have some coin to spend to supercharge at which point you're talking about $3000 to $8000, depending on what you want to do. Also, more power means suspension work to hook up (with enough power; modest HP gains may only require better rubber on a V6).
Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Crobattt
1st Gear Member

you know, im actually not sure if i want more power or if i just wanna dress up my engine :/..
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
First of all, a CAI & tune will not void your warranty unless you're a wuss and let the dealer tell you that. It's BS but sometimes a fight. They have to prove that the CAI & tune was responsible for the failure.

A stand-alone CAI on the 4.0 may net you 3-4 RWHP. A good custom tune with that CAI is worth about 15-20 RWHP plus improved throttle response.

After that, it's 3 HP here, 5 HP there unlerss you have some coin to spend to supercharge at which point you're talking about $3000 to $8000, depending on what you want to do. Also, more power means suspension work to hook up (with enough power; modest HP gains may only require better rubber on a V6).
+1... Hit it right on the head!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Trust us man, we all know our stuff. We have all been through it time and time again, so listen to use when we tell you that you DO want performance, and you DO want a tune. All show but no go is a lame way to mod your car, and a tune will make you think you are driving an entirely new car (in a good way).
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

A tune + a CAI will be your best mod for a little more power. Period.

Prettying-up an engine bay is only good for show. You'll have more fun with performance mods when you're behind the wheel.
And yep, we've allllllllll been there
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You can always get a no-tune-required CAI for show and get a tune for it later. Be aware, however, that even no-tune-requiredCAI's have been known to throw a CEL for running lean.

If you do wait and get a tune later on, you'll kick yourself in the butt for waiting. It's definitely a major seat-of-the-pants change.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM
GCCBrian
1st Gear Member

You want more power? - Then a V6 isn't for you..

Just do what i'm doing, save up and buy yourself a GT.

You can get a nice 05-07 for a good $12,000-$16,000.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Crobattt
i have a 05 v6 with a stock engine, nothing is aftermarket and even the stickers are still on all the parts. I'm looking for a way to upgrade my car. I know i want a CAI, but im a little afraid of a tune, because i still have a warranty on my car and i don't want to void my warranty. Besides a CAI what else can i do?
Listen to Nuke and everyone . I have an 07 v6 auto . Bought a CAI on the classifieds section for 100$ . Bought a tuner locked for 40$ got it unlocked for 150$ . I have a stock tune from sct . AND i have a 100k mile warranty till 2015 . Dont let them bull**** you they cant do that look up " magnuson " act or law its all there .
This mod is by far the best mod ive ever done you will notice the performance . You will be hungry for more . Cheers buy a CAI and tune .
Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
mike4.0

Go for it man! I just ordered a tuner from AM last night actually and hopefully will have a JLT intake (used) here shortly to throw on the car. I won't be using a 93 oct tune as not many pumps have 93 up here but I will be using the 87, 87 performance and 91 performance tunes. I'll let you know how she feels! but I'm sure as everyone else has already mentioned, you and I are going to love the tune and intake

Cheers man

Quick Reply: Looking for more power.