Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Question regarding winter tires and new rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
ostar1183

Talking Question regarding winter tires and new rotors

Hey guys,

Been a huge fan of this site since 2005 when I first got my mustang and great advice has been posted numerous times here but what I need to ask I wasn't able to find unfortunately.

So I recently upgraded to 18 inch tires/rims this year and I also got the ford racing front rotor upgrade kit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...de-0511v6.html

Since I live in Toronto we get snow (yay...) and I have snow tires on another set but they're on 16 inch steel wheels.

Just to be safe, am I to assume I'll need a new set on 17 in tires/steel wheels since I need the caliper clearance for the bigger rotors in the front or would the 16s actually fit and I can brake safely without taking out a schoolbus full of nuns during a snowfall?

oh and yes I want steel wheels, am what the spanish call "El Cheapo"

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM
JimC

The 16" wheel doesn't fit the bigger GT rotors. Calipers will hit and you will not move (so braking won't be a problem LOL).

You need a set of 17" wheels minimum for the GT front brakes.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 PM
I_Call_D.I.B.s
2nd Gear Member

2006+ Crown Vic Police Interceptor steel wheels should fit. They are 17" D x 7.5" W and have the correct bolt pattern (5x114.3). Go to the nearest junkyard and see if they'll let you test fit them.

You could also check Kijiji, Craigslist, or forum for-sale sections for cheap 17" Mustang take-offs.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ostar1183
Hey guys,

Been a huge fan of this site since 2005 when I first got my mustang and great advice has been posted numerous times here but what I need to ask I wasn't able to find unfortunately.

So I recently upgraded to 18 inch tires/rims this year and I also got the ford racing front rotor upgrade kit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-r...de-0511v6.html

Since I live in Toronto we get snow (yay...) and I have snow tires on another set but they're on 16 inch steel wheels.

Just to be safe, am I to assume I'll need a new set on 17 in tires/steel wheels since I need the caliper clearance for the bigger rotors in the front or would the 16s actually fit and I can brake safely without taking out a schoolbus full of nuns during a snowfall?

oh and yes I want steel wheels, am what the spanish call "El Cheapo"

Thanks!
ostar1183,

Welcome to MF, I see you already have been trolling around since you know how great the reads are on here!

Thanks for being a loyal customer since 2005, we greatly appreciate that!

The Ford Racing Front Rotor Upgrade is a sick set up, it really transform's the breaks of your sixxer & gives you the stopping power your pony was lacking!

This Rotor set up will require 17"in wheels or bigger in order to have enough clearance.

I hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any assistance!

-Dan
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 AM
ostar1183

So I'll have to get 17s, I figured I just wanted to make sure.

I'll check out a few junkyards and see if I can grab the Crown Vic wheels and slap some good winters on, either that or get some take-offs.

Thanks for the help guys!