Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

T5 to TR3650 swap review

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Default T5 to TR3650 swap review

As some of you know I have been installing a TR3650 behind my 4.0. Here is my review of the Adapter kit sold by Nice Pony and of how the mustang feels with the new trans. First of all, the adapter kit is very high quality and I feel that some of the difficulties surrounding the starter location were worked around as best as possible.

Some of the instructions didn’t apply for whatever reason. Clearancing the rear of the cylinder heads wasn’t necessary as the plate fit flat against the engine. The kit says to move the ground wire from the driver’s side cylinder head to the passenger side. This wasn’t possible as the ground wire wouldn’t twist around far enough to bolt it in. Instead I found another hole on the driver side that was further up to bolt it to. I did however have to cut the ear off the top of the bell housing.

The electrical instructions didn’t apply in the least. It says to separate the passenger (?) side rear O2 sensor from the wiring harness and move the speedo and back up light sensor connector to the other side. However both the 3650 and T5 plugs are on the same side.

The biggest issue I had was with the spacer behind the slave cylinder. I am using a new OE Valeo clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder. The spacer wasn’t nearly thick enough to disengage the clutch. I talked to Nice Pony and he said that no one had used the stock clutch before. So I was stuck tinkering with it trying to get it to work. By turning the spacer around backwards and using some bolts I cut down it worked. So I am working with Nice Pony to get a thicker spacer built to secure the slave cylinder in place properly.

The other problem I had was with the exhaust. It was my fault as I didn’t realize what all was involved in getting it to work. After taking the finished car in to the muffler shop instead of just the y-pipe I got it figured out.
It is a necessity to get a transmission jack to do this. I installed the 3650 the first time without one and it was miserable. The trans jack made life much easier.

After driving the mustang with the new transmission I am ashamed Ford ever put that junk in it in the first place. It is so much smoother. I can actually put the power down instead of fighting the trans the whole time. I absolutely recommend this to anyone with a T5. The swap isn’t that difficult if you have a garage or flat driveway it is doable in a weekend/two weekends.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the club
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Good to hear you were able to get everything worked out!
This information will be very helpful for others that are interested in doing a tranny swap. ;-)

Last edited by kevinmalec; 11-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

*Disclaimer* My husband wrote that review. I didn't do anything, but be his tool gopher occasionally. Because he is awesome and ****.

Anyway, I drove it today to school. I'm in love. Eddie, I think you were right I'm eventually going to have to get 3.73s in the rear. It isn't awful with the 3.55s, but it isn't as responsive as it was with the 3.55s and the T5. Although I will take the feeling of the 3650 completely makes up for it for right now.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

Glad you like the way it drives!

Still weird about the spacer. With well over 50 of these kits installed it has never been an issue. As for the wiring, that part of the instruction you read probably applied to the TR6060 swap which the kit was developed on.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Originally Posted by Nice Pony
Glad you like the way it drives!

Still weird about the spacer. With well over 50 of these kits installed it has never been an issue. As for the wiring, that part of the instruction you read probably applied to the TR6060 swap which the kit was developed on.
Any news on the price of that spacer?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

For your special issue I think we can stack two of them. I will check into this and get back to you.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

Yeah thats a good idea. I hadnt thought about that. Pm me the price I would like to get it ASAP. Im not crazy about driving around like it is now.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Congrats!

I fully agree, getting the T5 out of there is a HUGE improvement (I went with Nice Pony's kit and a TR-6060 myself), and Ford SHOULD have put something better in to start with.

Difference is truly night and day, and Nice Pony did an amazing job with the engineering on the adapter kit.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

What kind of RPM's are you turning in 6th? Gotta be a quiet ride, right?

Quick Reply: T5 to TR3650 swap review