Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need help with failing cats

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arkansas V6
Cats off and enjoy the mean looks youll be receiving!
You'll rattle pop and bang your way to a sound violation at best, or a terrible headache whenever you take the car over 3k rpm.

Youtube some of videos of sixxers without cats, they sound terrible even with good mufflers.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

No prob. Any time.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Paleus

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
You'll rattle pop and bang your way to a sound violation at best, or a terrible headache whenever you take the car over 3k rpm.

Youtube some of videos of sixxers without cats, they sound terrible even with good mufflers.
Yeah, I have decided against going sans-cats based on what you guys have said. And if I can get the OEM parts nearly as cheap as having the shop put on cut-in cats, I'm getting the OEM stuff. Just gotta figure out if I'm pulling them off of a junked car or ordering them from that eBay seller.

Do you guys think the cats off of a wrecked car would be ok? Obviously it would depend on how bad of a wreck the car was in. I saw one online in Copart's inventory that looked it had just been rear ended pretty good. From the rear axle forward it looked pretty much intact.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Paleus

I think I'm just going to order those Davico converters. I don't want to pull some of off a wreck to have them crap out a month later and be right back where I am now.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Paleus

Does anyone know if there are any gaskets I need to buy? On Davico's website it says this kit doesn't come with any gaskets.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

No need for gaskets with that section of exhaust. Everything is compression. It's better to replace the entire midpipe than just the converters if at all possible. No cutting and welding that way. The mid-pipe from a wrecked car is fine as long as the pipe itself isn't damaged. 4.0 cats rarely fail. I wouldn't expect it to happen to you twice.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 AM
Paleus

@Diabolical! I just ordered that Davico kit from that eBay link you posted. Looks like it's is everything from the flanges that bolt to the manifolds to the Y-pipe. Didn't really want to mess with having to take them off of a car at UPullIt and it probably wouldn't have been that much cheaper.

Thanks to everyone that posted. This was a huge help.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Paleus

New problem: while changing out the throttle position sensor, one of the effin' bolts broke. Almost had the broken bolt drilled out of the throttle body when the drill bit breaks off in the hole. So, no way I can drill through the drill bit, I need a new throttle body. Anyone know where I can get just the body of the throttle body? Obviously, I have all the parts to put on another throttle body. How much might it be to get another TB from UPullIt?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

I recently bought custom-fit cats for my V6. Walker muffler has an easy order page for specific fit cats. They have direct-fit cats for all cars. This is the 1-piece direct-fit cat for your car.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...catalog-lookup

Walker does not sell direct to customers. I used Summit Racing:
http://www.summitracing.com/search?k...lk-50554&dds=1
$369

Walker's "info on Converters" page may help you understand Converters in general, and help decide what you should do.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support...ytic-converter

I hope this is useful
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I got magna flows direct fir cats for under $400. this is where I got them, price went up a bit though.

http://www.trucktune.com/product/magnaflow-23012

Last edited by JJHoover; 04-07-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help with failing cats