Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

06 Mustang 4.0 V6 Didnt Start This Morning....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 11:25 AM
GTOGreg

Originally Posted by Andrew Christian
I will say that Mustangs are notorious to kill the alternator when the battery goes out. If you find your new battery dying again, your alt is the culprit. Just had to do it to mine this past year.
Thanks, I appreciate the heads up regarding the OE alternator! I think tie alternator is still OK, after replacing the battery, I went ahead and started the car up, and then went back and removed the positive cable from the battery to confirm that the car kept running without the battery connected. I also checked to see that the headlights remain steady and don't get brighter when gunning the accelerator.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 AM
GTOGreg

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Sounds like your basic dead battery to me. You'll need to reset the one touch window function after the battery dies. There is a simple specific sequence to reset the control module which we can address once you get to the bottom of the no start issue.

The 71 GTO is beauty. I'm a Ford fan for life but Pontiac has always had the best styling & design group of the modern big 3 manufactures IMO. Good luck with the new car!
Agreed on the Pontiac styling, particularly during 60's and 70's with the GTO/Lemans, Tempest, Trans Am, Firebird, etc. however I have always had a soft spot for the styling of some of the early model Fords as well with cars like the Mustang, Thunderbird, Falcon, Galaxy, etc. These days I think that the styling of the 05 and up Mustang makes it one of the best looking production cars on the road, and I couldn't be happier now that I am actually driving one!

Anyway, I checked the one touch window function last night after I got the new battery installed, and it still seemed to work, so I am not sure I need to reset it.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'd still keep tabs on the battery voltage after it sits overnight. Sort of like checking your oil, get a baseline and then check it once a month or so. Static voltage after you allow the surface charge to bleed off overnight should be 12.6 volts or higher for a fully charged, healthy battery. That should be an INDICATION, not a 100% positive, that the alternator is doing it's job.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:44 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

it wouldn't hurt to go to auto zone and let them test the alternator just to be on the safe side.