Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

05 V6 with Manual Tranny Trouble....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 AM
SalManilla

Default 05 V6 with Manual Tranny Trouble....

I have an 05 V6 Convertible. She has 92K miles and is well treated. Recently she has had problems getting into first... Not smooth, fights it sometimes, but eventually gives in (with some gentle persuasion). I took her to my trusted shop and their diagnosis was that she was in need for a New Clutch. Painfully - She got a New Clutch. Now the Clutch feels great, but the same first gear problem persists.

Any suggestions? Am I looking at a Transmission Problem, Shift Linkage, something else?

Sal
Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

did they replace your slave cylinder?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JJHoover
did they replace your slave cylinder?
+1
If not you can try pumping it a few times and see if that helps.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 AM
SalManilla

Taking her back to the shop today - I am going to have them put new fluid in and see if that makes a difference. Wondering if it might be the Linkage... I wouldn't mind putting a short shifter in.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:11 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

IMO its the slave cylinder and that is all that was wrong with it in the first place.
Most likely the fluid was replaced since it drains out when you disconnect the line to pull the trans out. It can be plugged before too much leaks out but I don't see a shop bothering to do that. Since there is no bleader the best they can do now is drain the master cylinder.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

My slave cylinder/throw out bearing went bad at 65K miles. I had the mechanic replace everything, except for the master cylinder. When I got my car back from the shop, I experienced rough shifting as well. I had them change out the transmission fluid and all is well!

Does your clutch pedal feel a lot lighter when pressing down?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 AM
06RubyFire
2nd Gear Member

I have the same problem. I can shift to 5th and it unlocks 1st. Pumping the clutch doesn't seem to help mine.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:06 AM
RideThePony2007

My 07 4.0 does this as well. I never put much thought into it since its always been tough and hasn't gotten worse. My clutch always engages well and feels nice and stiff so I never thought it was the slave cylinder/throwout, and I have a short throw. The car does have about 84K miles though...trans fluid change helps? I'll have to try that!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM
JimmySlort
1st Gear Member

My 09's clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and throw out was replaced under warranty at about 35K. Right from day one, my clutch felt like I was driving an old truck, my leg would get tired in traffic. The tranny was real notchy going into first and the clutch would slip on hot days. When they took everything apart, my clutch was not pooched, but the flywheel was glazed. No one had an answer, so they did the replacement. Now my peddle feels just right (like my friend's 302), but at times it's still notchy going into first.
She is off warranty now, so I'm saving up for a MGW short throw shifter. I do run her at our 1/8 mile strip without problems (except power shifting into 3rd is a trip).

BTW, sometimes I get a weird clunk when I'm in first and let off the gas. Anyone have that problem? Oh ya and I do not ride my clutch!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:59 PM
crisplyr9

Sounds like the slave to me

Quick Reply: 05 V6 with Manual Tranny Trouble....