Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Mod my mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DieselPoweredPlayer
I have 1100 to spend total. Not looking to spend all of it though. I dont care about fuel economy, i just want speed. What tuner and cai can give you the absolute most hp?

Whats the best DRY filter CAI kit? I do not want a filter like K&N because I have heard horror stories dealing with the oil from the filter going through and screwing up the internals.
I am not familiar with DRY CAI filters. I have the Airaid air filter and use the K&N cleaner/oil and haven't experienced any issues. A majority of the members on this site have a CAI/tune combo.

Popular CAI's I have seen on this site are as follows:

C&L
JLT
Steeda
Airaid (Same company makes Roush CAI)
BBK

I have the SCT Xcal3 tuner and custom tunes from Brenspeed. The performance is night and day from stock tune vs. custom tunes.

Check out American Muscle and Brenspeeds website for CAI/Tuner combos!

Last edited by kevinmalec; 08-02-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:06 PM
DieselPoweredPlayer

Thanks for all the feedback! Ive heard good things from a few 4.6 owners about JLTs CAI. Thinking of going with that one but will definitely still go with a dry filter.

I will be getting a tune this coming week and will let you guys know how it is. I hope whatever I get makes that useless auto tranny know what the **** its doing when I step on the gas ha.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:01 PM
JimC

Gears are also on my radar. I know they alone wont add hp, but they will help put power down better when I do mod it. Thinking 3.73. Any feedback on that?
If im looking for off the line speed would 4.10 gears be better?
Just swapping gears in the 7.5 rear end won't do much - you'll just spin one rear tire faster with the open diff. And trying to build the 7.5 by adding a tlok will end up costing you as much, if not more, than just buying a take off 8.8 rear end and swapping it.

It doesn't take much to overpower a 7.5. I spent more trying to build it up (3.73, tlok, LPW girdle) only to break it with just a CAI, tune and set of drag radials - swapped the 8.8 in after that for less than it cost me to build the 7.5.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:17 PM
DieselPoweredPlayer

How much would it cost me to buy and install a 8.8? I only plan on having the car til summer next year before I upgrade to a GT so i dont want to put too much into it. Im going to do a lot to the GT tho
Old 08-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

if your future plans for the car is to only own it for 1 yr or so, then I would not be spending 1K in it at ALL. The most I would do may be CAI and tune thats it. Forget gears, and exterior mods unless you keep the stock v6 pieces so you can transfer the aftermarket ones to the GT.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
if your future plans for the car is to only own it for 1 yr or so, then I would not be spending 1K in it at ALL. The most I would do may be CAI and tune thats it. Forget gears, and exterior mods unless you keep the stock v6 pieces so you can transfer the aftermarket ones to the GT.
I agree +1
Old 08-02-2013, 11:48 PM
ToriLynne

Default any suggestions?

New to forums so idk how all this works but I need some help. My V6 is my baby. But the horn is killing me.. I need something way more intimidating and impressive than the puny *beep* it came with. But I have no clue what to get or where to even begin looking…

suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Mod my mustang-image.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ToriLynne
New to forums so idk how all this works but I need some help. My V6 is my baby. But the horn is killing me.. I need something way more intimidating and impressive than the puny *beep* it came with. But I have no clue what to get or where to even begin looking…

suggestions?
I havn't heard of anyone complaining about the horn before lol my is loud as $hit. I have seen at least 5/6 mustangs running train horns tho. Thats all I really know about changing the horn. If you start a new thread, you will probably get more answers related to your question.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Thanks for all the feedback! Ive heard good things from a few 4.6 owners about JLTs CAI. Thinking of going with that one but will definitely still go with a dry filter.

I will be getting a tune this coming week and will let you guys know how it is. I hope whatever I get makes that useless auto tranny know what the **** its doing when I step on the gas ha.
Cool! Who are you getting the custom tune from?
If it's a good tune, it will really wake up your auto tranny and the throttle lag will be gone.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 PM
DieselPoweredPlayer

Looking like American Muscle. They seem reputable and resonable as far as price

Quick Reply: Mod my mustang