Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Whirring after a clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:28 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Default Whirring after a clutch replacement

So, before I go to the shop that recently did my clutch job and go a bit mad, I just want to check and see what the consensus is on this.

Last Wednesday, I took my car to get the clutch replaced. They used a clutch kit that included a slave cylinder/throwout bearing and pressure plate along with the clutch.

I picked it up, wow! The clutch feels great! Drove it carefully throughout the week, getting used to the new engagement point and not wanting to slam it into gear, racking up a good few hundred miles and very happy with it. For the cost, I should be!

I then get in this morning, the weather was cold, and it grinds when I put it into reverse. Then just to test, I put it into 1st and with the clutch pedal pressed down, I get a faint whirring noise. Drive to the station and it doesn't subside. What could be the cause for that and should I take it back?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:41 PM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Well, the whirring turned into the car trying to move forwards when in gear and with the clutch pedal pushed down. Then a grinding noise and inability to change out of fear when the engine is running.

The receipt said they installed a pilot bushing, but the car's with them again. Let's see what happens...
Old 01-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Charon1st

Hey Steve how'd you turn out? I seem to recall a TSB from Ford on you particular car concerning flywheel ring gear and the intermediate plate bell to engine clearances. Not sure if it applies in your case though possibly bell to engine fasteners weren't torqued properly. Hope all turned out well.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:44 AM
steev
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, I got the car over to them. Had to reverse out, so had to put it in gear before I started the car, then started, backed out. Couldn't change gear stood still, so had to turn off the engine, put it in first, then started again. Once moving, it was ok to change gear in the forward gears but still had the grinding sound when stopped in gear with the clutch pedal pressed.

My understanding of how transmissions work basically confirmed that behavior. The pilot bearing is there to allow the flywheel to spin at a different speed to the input shaft. So if it fails and has both spinning, I can't select a gear at a standstill because the input shaft is spinning...

Anyway, they called and said they're getting a replacement clutch kit in as the bushing was part of the one they swapped in, so it'll be better by Monday evening and shouldn't cost me anything.

I googled the part number they used. The amount they charged for the parts alone (not including labor), I'm a bit disappointed they got that particular kit. Kind of wish I could've done the job myself with a clutch kit actually worth $500!