Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

4.0 engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 PM
jwheels

Default 4.0 engine removal

I have an '05 base coupe. This past summer I was having problems with over heating , the fan would not come on while idling consistently. It would be fine some times then other times it would puke out the cap. Tried, thermostat, new cap, new sending unit checked fan connection. I changed the relays for the fan, but never really solved the issues that I know of.
All the while I was putting just water in it trying to figure stuff out as not to waste antifreeze, well the temp outside dropped a bunch and I forgot to drain and add antifreeze, so guess what happened? yep you guessed it I did some sort of damage, not sure exactly what happened but needless to say oil and water make for an interesting milkshake looking substance on the dipstick and in the overflow.
In my research it makes more sense to pull the engine even if it is just head gasket(s), because of the chain in back on the passenger side head. My guess is it is more then a gasket, something cracked, head, block, something major.
My question is do I need to disconnect the a/c or will it move out of the way enough to leave it charged, also there is a wire connection from the compressor going to the condenser, how do you disconnect with out breaking.
Any other advise would be greatly appreciated, I have worked on older cars not on my '05.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:46 PM
jwheels

I know it might be a stupid question, but I thought I would ask anyway.
I'm sure the wire connector has a clip or something I'm missing probably need to get at it from the underside. But as far as the A/C is concerned, you used to be able to get the compressor loose and move it out of the way, just have not been out there to look at it closely to see if the lines are rubber or metal.
Just thought I would ask and see if anyone with more experience with the newer cars could help me out.
I'm currently working on my 64 1/2, but need to put that on hold while I get the 05 back up and running, time and money wise.