Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help me out

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Mmathews506

Exclamation Help me out

Hey guys, got a some issues and need some help or advice on them.

got a 2005 v6 automatic.

1) when starting cold engine, the starter makes a tiny grinding noise for a split second, if i turn the key back and start it again, the noise is gone. in fact, you can't hear it until i start it again in 4-6 hours. replaced starter, twice, noise goes away for about two days, then back again. fly wheel looks good just worn a tiny bit nothing that noticeable. maybe a weak battery if possible?

2) when driving it after cold start, i get this sort of spraying spurting sound around 3000 rpms when accelerating, after a couple minutes it goes away. sounds coming from front of hood/driver side.

3) any time the car vibrates it sounds like a ruckus in corners of my dash, any ideas how to muffle the noises? boom mat spray? (I stick chapstick in the corner where the door meets dash by the side mirror adjuster lol, stops one noise)

4) changed atf and it reverses harshly or delayed at times, don't know why. was way worse before i changed the atf. sealed trannys are ridiculous

5) hood shakes at high speeds, can you tighten down a hood? or go hydraulic hood props from am maybe? I got hood pins on it just in case.

6) from cold start the car vibrates like crazy when at stop, coming from middle of dash by shifter I'm guessing. goes away after a little bit.

7)whining and its not the serpentine belt, can hear it best at idle.

Im 17 and have been buying parts and fixing this car up all by myself, can't afford a mechanic so might as well try and become one. Bought it 3 months ago at 92k and its had bad maintenance. oil filter was rusted when i got it if that gives you an idea. If you've read this far, its very appreciated.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:28 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

1) I have not messed with these engines much going off stuff in the past, is the starter tight and might it need to be shimmed?

2) not sure what your describing is there anything else you can add to the description? is it throwing any codes?

3) is there anything that looks loose? do you know if the dash was removed or taken out?

4) Sorry don't know anything about the auto transmissions of our cars, some places will do a free diagnostic or charge a small price, might be what you want to do.

5) have you tried adjusting the hood bumpers and latch?

6) check your motor and trans mount.

7) could be the idler pulley

good luck with your car they are pretty good cars if taken care of I have 250k on the original engine.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:54 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by Mmathews506
Hey guys, got a some issues and need some help or advice on them.

got a 2005 v6 automatic.

4) changed atf and it reverses harshly or delayed at times, don't know why. was way worse before i changed the atf. sealed trannys are ridiculous

:
Your fluid could be low - the automatic transmission isn't easy to fill and the proper method requires the car to be running and in gear to get all the fluid in.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

My Mustang has had that harsh reverse for more than 3 years.

Best thing to do is put it in reverse as soon as motor starts and it should go in nice and smooth. Doesn't really harm anything.

I agree on the sealed transmissions. Awful idea.