Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Daytime Running Lights - Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 PM
SSBrian

Default Daytime Running Lights - Fog Lights

I have a 2008 Mustang with the factory HID head lights and the Pony Package fog lights. I will be changing the fog light bulbs to LED and they will be Daytime Running Lights also. I plan on adding a relay, diode and switch (A switch to turn off DRL). The diode is to prevent back feed to the PCM, like the the factory did for to the fuel pump relay. Just running it by the forum to see if my thinking is right. Also what brand and model H11 LED do you find to be the best?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:18 PM
SSBrian

I could not find a way to edit my original post. Here is the corrected diagram I drew without the intersecting wires between 86 and 30 on the relay.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:28 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Why not just take it to the dealer and have the daytime running lights turned on.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:11 PM
SSBrian

Ford Tech line claims it is only for Fleet Sales and Canada and that the SJB cannot be programmed since those cars come with a module that is added. Dealership wanted to try for $120 and if they can't, I still pay. Second is I don't want the reduced brightness with factory DRL since I plan on using LED bulbs anyway.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:41 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSBrian
Ford Tech line claims it is only for Fleet Sales and Canada and that the SJB cannot be programmed since those cars come with a module that is added. Dealership wanted to try for $120 and if they can't, I still pay. Second is I don't want the reduced brightness with factory DRL since I plan on using LED bulbs anyway.
That's not right. I purchased my 06 GT in Conrad, Mt., in fact I ordered it new and after I picked it up I imported it into Canada with the Canadian import sheet. I then returned to Conrad and they used the Canadian import number to contact the Ford hotline and they provided Hotline the Canadian import number for exporting the car to Canada. Ford had the Conrad tech (mechanic) connect their IDS to the OBD11 port and the Hotline tech instructed the mechanic how to turn the DRL on with this lap top. I watched them come automatically. This is no added module.
Others in Canada were unaware that they can be turned on this way and took their cars to Canadian Tire or other shops to ADD some kind of module to get DRL. I wasn't about to do this and had it done correctly. Because I purchased the car there this was done for free. Imagine a small western hick town dealer Courtesy Ford being able to do this and a lot of big city dealerships not knowing how or even trying unless they get paid.
You can also turn DRL on and off yourself with the program Forscan and a laptop and and a Blue tooth USB connector by altering one number. I turned mine off and I wired the fog lamps on my added GT500 front bumper, by adding a relay and doing a bit of wiring (3 wires). If you want you can check out my posts under my handle where you can find all information for that. The Forscan site and XDA sites also have a lot of information

Last edited by lenko; 10-29-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-29-2017, 01:02 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

I saw your original site and I have posted another response on it. It looks like what you are doing is probably right for you. I don't think you are intending to make your headlights as DRL and what I did to make my fog lights DRL (turned my headlight DRL off with Forscan) does not include an off switch. My fogs act as DRL They are only off when I just use the park lights. When headlights come on they are off unless I pull the fog lamp switch and then if I go to high beam they go off auto.- for me perfect!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:29 PM
SSBrian

Originally Posted by lenko
I saw your original site and I have posted another response on it. It looks like what you are doing is probably right for you. I don't think you are intending to make your headlights as DRL and what I did to make my fog lights DRL (turned my headlight DRL off with Forscan) does not include an off switch. My fogs act as DRL They are only off when I just use the park lights. When headlights come on they are off unless I pull the fog lamp switch and then if I go to high beam they go off auto.- for me perfect!
My headlights are hid from the factory and cant be dimmed like normal drl headlights on Ford vehicles. I have read that hid headlights are not an option on this car in 2008 because of drl in Canada or fleet sales.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

I guess its possible that 2008 have a different programming and I understand that you want the ability to turn your fog lights off.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:30 PM
SSBrian

I will be able to run fog lights with the high beams on (DRL - switch on) and come on when I press the key fob to unlock the doors (Factory). When the switch is turned off, everything works like Ford intended (Like the circuit isn't even there).
Old 10-30-2017, 12:57 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

OOPS saw you were on this site already - disregard!

Worthwhile to have a look at post 12 on this site. https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-lights-2.html. That's how I did mine, but I'm in Canada and need DR lights on always. This makes the fogs work as they should for me. There is no switch to turn them off. This uses a relay and 3 wire changes and maybe you can incorporate a switch somehow for your function. My fogs, however, (now DRL) don't come on with high beams or when the park lights are on which is not what you want.

Last edited by lenko; 10-30-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: add